Torn - Discounted 1958 (under MSRP) or LC trim

spakins

đź“› Founding Member
Aug 14, 2024
Media
Reno NV
I have been leaning toward the lowest LC trim mainly for the adjustable seats. 1) they are hard to find in the sub 64K range, and now 2) a local dealer is offering me a 1958 at what they claim in invoice pricing ($3.5K under TSRP).

I have not been able to get any dealer to work a deal on the lower end LC trims.

Does anyone here foresee dealers being more flexible on LC trim pricing soon?
Can I add the factor roof rack side bars to a 1958 myself?
Is $3.5K under TSRP a crazy deal that I should not pass up?

Thanks for anyone's insights.

Our local Toyota Dealers won't discount anything, I'm shocked they are discounting a 1958...
You could always add Seat Jackers to lift/tilt the seats in the 1958 if that is all you are worried about...

I have the non-premium LC Trim, which I picked over the 1958 edition because of:

1. Color options (two-tone Blue or Yellow was critical for me!)
2. Sway-bar disconnect
3. Multi-terrain monitor
4. Roof rails + Crossbar
5. Ventilated seats + softex
6. Bigger screens, better audio, gadgetry, etc

Now that i have a little over a 1000mi on it, i don't know if i will ever actually need to disconnect the front sway bar, and I'm kinda wishing i had classic cloth seats instead of softex. I'm also eyeing up roof rack upgrades for next summer. The bigger screens are nice, but the added real estate doesn't really add much value aside from being nice. I also did not know that the running board would be very important since i have young kids, but that could be added to a 1958 edition.

So that leaves just the following trim features that actually matter to me and are not available to the 1958 edition.

1. Color
2. Multi-terrain monitor

If the 1958 had come in Heritage Blue or Trail Dust, I think it would have been perfectly fine, although MTM is pretty sweet (in particular for parking! but also came in very handy when riding some tame but narrow and rocky trails recently).

I haven’t added the roof rails to my 1958 yet, but my understanding is that it is very easy to do yourself.

Our local Toyota Dealers won't discount anything, I'm shocked they are discounting a 1958...
You could always add Seat Jackers to lift/tilt the seats in the 1958 if that is all you are worried about...

Here, all LCs are discounted. 1958 $3-4k discount, LC $4-5k, FE $6-8k. No bs addons either. P

Not difficult to add side rails. Same system as 4Runner. I’ve done it 3-4 times. Make sure to use 100% silicone around the plastic sleeves. Couple tutorials on YouTube.

The only regret I have in buying the 1958 is the lack of roof rails. I’d like the ability to carry skis, a SUP and a Xmas tree, but I don’t want a shopping basket on the top and the availability of non-accessory parts for the new LC is still in its infancy.

As to the Softex, it’s hard for me to consider vinyl as an upgrade over cloth. Both materials are susceptible to the “you paid $X and didn’t get leather?” criticism - to the extent that bothers you.

Also, I don’t like running boards or the rectangular headlights. Also, many of the LCLC units nearby were quite loaded by the Jacksonville distributor. It has been easier to find 1958’s with fewer distributor add-ons which effectively increases the price difference between trims.

That said, don’t overly stress about cost nor internet chatter. Get what you want. I wanted a 1958 because I don’t like loaded-up utility vehicles and I like how it harkens back to the 60 gen and 80 gen before leather, sunroofs, 3rd row seats, etc were standard equipment.

Last edited:
Eventually there will likely be an aftermarket sway bar disconnect for the 1958. Or it could be added with Toyota parts.

One downside of this new model is lack of both aftermarket support and general knowledge of the vehicle. We don't even know if a winch can be powered by an existing circuit in the front of the vehicle.

I haven't seen $4-5k discounts like 880 has, but did find an LC Premium package under MSRP in Florida. Would you consider buying out of state and shipping?

I haven't seen $4-5k discounts like 880 has, but did find an LC Premium package under MSRP in Florida. Would you consider buying out of state and shipping?
Many Toyota dealers will not sell out of area as it apparently may affect their future vehicle allocation. However Toyota has various ancient distribution agreements that likely vary by region, so its worth investigating.

Back