Top Rack tie down

tbounds02

📛 Founding Member
Nov 20, 2023
Media
Ms
Vehicles
22 tundra
I tied somestuff on top of rack for the first time this weekend. I soon realized that the side bars are way to flimsy to use as anchor point , the thin sheet metal will flex/bend. I wound up anchoring and tying off to the cross members , It worked but was not ideal
I would ask if anyone has figured out the correct way to anchor stuff down on rack?

I needed a quick solution and ended up with the following (installed under the corner bolts): Amazon.com

It's not ideal, but seems sturdy and doesn't stick up too much.

I tied somestuff on top of rack for the first time this weekend. I soon realized that the side bars are way to flimsy to use as anchor point , the thin sheet metal will flex/bend. I wound up anchoring and tying off to the cross members , It worked but was not ideal
I would ask if anyone has figured out the correct way to anchor stuff down on rack?
If it's the first edition rack, somewhere I saw anchor bolts you can install in the slots in the bars. Something like the attached image. I can't find it now . . . could be somewhere on this forum?

71ukGW0yH4S._SL1500_.jpg

As soon as I put hands on that rack a week or so ago, I knew it was just an OEM poser rack. If only those sides were structural, it would be a usable option (top channels are fine). I immediately had my dealer 'delete' it from the options I want.

Another version: Amazon.com

May work in the OEM FE roof rack cross bars. Possibly on the roof rack sides through the rectangular slots?

Last edited:
Back