Just got my black FE !!

tbounds02

📛 Founding Member
Nov 20, 2023
Media
Ms
Vehicles
22 tundra
I didn’t take pictures yet , did drive it will pick it up tomorrow my initial findings to some questions
My rear storage area is much larger than I thought
Has storage in front and behind battery pack in floor
Cranking battery is in rear left inside side compartment
Comes with rack cover for roof rack
Sound is much weaker than my tundra max
Power feels very good so far
Rear seat room is good
No 12 volt cigarette plug in front area
Ride feels very comfortable
Rear seat room very generous
I have rubber mat in storage area and carpet underneath

Are you sure the 12V battery cranks the engine? That was not my understanding...

Are you sure the 12V battery cranks the engine? That was not my understanding...
There are two batteries - the HV battery that powers the hybrid system under the trunk area, and a standard 12V for auxilary electronics. EDIT - the Motor Generator is used to start the motor and powered by the HV battery.
1717104185001.png

My understanding is the hybrid battery starts the engine via the hybrid motor..... no conventional starter or alternator.
It just might have a backup starter. The Tundra does, and the systems are very similar in operation.

I am not sure why it would not , they may both do so , if it wasn’t dedicated to engine starting and critical operations why have two sets , maybe it is just a backup . Not really my point I just didn’t realize it even had another battery or where it was or what it does.

Last edited:
I am not sure why it would not , they may both do so , if it wasn’t dedicated to engine starting and critical operations why have two batteries
12V battery is there to run the auxiliary electronics and also to power the backup starter.

normal starting functionality controlled by the hybrid motor and the HV battery, but a traditional starter is there as a backup.
1717106242185.png

Was it ever on the QC hold?
The only hold I was aware of was after it arrived at dealers lot the had a stop sale for about a week , before it was released for sale . They did not do any work on it

I didn’t take pictures yet , did drive it will pick it up tomorrow my initial findings to some questions
Rear seat room is good
Congratulations tbounds02, I believe black is the best looking color out there!

Rear seat room is good
Congratulations!

Congratulations--now that you've had it for awhile how's it going? I also test drove and drove away in a black FE. Not unhappy at all, but sure do wish they had kept the 12-volt cigarette light sockets in the front and rear. I had built up a 2022 4Runner and have several 12-volt accessories and awning and exterior area lights, and also used the cargo area 12-volt socket to (re)charge a small Jackery that powers a refrigerator. Now along with new hardware setups to attach awnings, water tanks, etc. I have to find the best solution to get 12-volt power to the Jackery without tying up the only 110 outlet. Safe travels.

Congratulations--now that you've had it for awhile how's it going? I also test drove and drove away in a black FE. Not unhappy at all, but sure do wish they had kept the 12-volt cigarette light sockets in the front and rear. I had built up a 2022 4Runner and have several 12-volt accessories and awning and exterior area lights, and also used the cargo area 12-volt socket to (re)charge a small Jackery that powers a refrigerator. Now along with new hardware setups to attach awnings, water tanks, etc. I have to find the best solution to get 12-volt power to the Jackery without tying up the only 110 outlet. Safe travels.
Very easily done (search for "EOD Guy's Ride" for how I did it)

Additionally: Just in front of the battery opening, on the bottom side of the un-used 3rd row arm rest, is a good place to drill a hole and through mount a couple of 12v outlets. Plenty of room behind it to tighten the jam nut (pop out the cup holder insert).

Last edited:
Back