Tire Upgrade ?

I went with method 17" with I think 25mm offset. My tires are 285 and with more poke than ideal, but I'll get extended mud flaps.

I had 20" stock and I didn't see a reason to buy 18" wheels
Which wheel? Pics?

17โ€ seems like logical choice to me when fitting off-road tires but focus here seems to be 18s. I was wondering if I was missing something.

On my HDJ80 Iโ€™m rocking 16โ€ OE wheels.

Method 316 Titanium 17x8 | 6x5.5 | 25/5.44"

Tires are Falken AT4 285/70R17 C rated, which is a true 33" tire. The C rated tire shows a bit of radial bulge at 35 psi, which is what I wanted compared to an E rated tire.

IMG_2285 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Method 316 Titanium 17x8 | 6x5.5 | 25/5.44"

Tires are Falken AT4 285/70R17 C rated, which is a true 33' tire. The C rated tire shows a bit of radial bulge at 35 psi, which is what I wanted compared to an E rated tire.

View attachment 11966

This is exactly the setup I am looking at. I love the 17' because I can go to a C rated tire. Any ride, handling, or MPG complaints?

This is exactly the setup I am looking at. I love the 17' because I can go to a C rated tire. Any ride, handling, or MPG complaints?
All real AT tires add some noise. My tires are new but I think a loss of 1 mpg is probably a good guess. We do get some energy recapture with the hybrid from spinning up heavy tires. And at constant speed on the highway there isn't much weight penalty.

But these AT4 is particular are very heavy tires. I want the C rating plus the extra Falken sidewall protection on this model, but its not an ideal tire or wheel for my preferences.

It does look awesome compared to my 20 inch wheels and street tires. If my vehicle came with 18/7.5 inch wheels I would not have bought the 17. I would have replaced the weenie 7 inch wide wheels if I had purchased the 1958.

Yeah Im used to the slight road noise with AT tires. Currently running stock size (265 70 18) Toyo At3 in a 4 ply, 10 years of K02 before that. So if you were on stock 18 inch rims and Toyo AT3 you wouldnt swap them out? Im looking for a bit taller tire for offroad clearance.

**Edit. I just looked and 265 18 Toyo At3 is 32.6 diameter and the 285 17 is a 32.8 diameter. A .1 gain isnt worth the switch.

Yeah Im used to the slight road noise with AT tires. Currently running stock size (265 70 18) Toyo At3 in a 4 ply, 10 years of K02 before that. So if you were on stock 18 inch rims and Toyo AT3 you wouldnt swap them out? Im looking for a bit taller tire for offroad clearance.

**Edit. I just looked and 265 18 Toyo At3 is 32.6 diameter and the 285 17 is a 32.8 diameter. A .1 gain isnt worth the switch.
The diameter may be the same or close to but with the 17" wheel you get more sidewall and a wider footprint which will equate to a softer ride and better offroad capability.
265/70/18 tire is 10.4" wide with a 7.3" sidewall
285/70/17 tire is 11.2" wide with a 7.9" sidewall

Last edited:

I think a true 34-35" tire with a small proper lift may be ideal. But the effort to carry a spare becomes substantial.

The diameter may be the same or close to but with the 17" wheel you get more sidewall and a wider footprint which will equate to a softer ride and better offroad capability.
265/70/18 tire is 10.4" wide with a 7.3" sidewall
285/70/17 tire is 11.2" wide with a 7.9" sidewall
Love the added sidewall, but the extra width is a concern. Have to balance the pros and cons. Wider tires have less contact patch offroading at lower psi which I do a lot. If I could find the increased sidewall in the 10.5 width range it would be a winner.

I want to confirm that these will fit my 1958:

Method Race Wheels 318 Wheel, 18x8.5 with 6 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern, +40mm OS - Gloss Black - MR318885601340​

These are on backorder, but thinking these will fit what I am looking for.

TIA

Love the added sidewall, but the extra width is a concern. Have to balance the pros and cons. Wider tires have less contact patch offroading at lower psi which I do a lot. If I could find the increased sidewall in the 10.5 width range it would be a winner.
I went with 17x8 35mm offset wheels with Toyo AT3 34x10.50r17 tires. These tires are "D" load rated, but only weigh 55 lbs which is much less than many of the alternative tires that are in the 60+ pound range. I like the additional height without the additional width and weight.

I went with 17x8 35mm offset wheels with Toyo AT3 34x10.50r17 tires. These tires are "D" load rated, but only weigh 55 lbs which is much less than many of the alternative tires that are in the 60+ pound range. I like the additional height without the additional width and weight.
I this on a stock suspension? Looks like the sweet spot. Any photos would be appreciated.

Does that tire fit in the spare location?

Does that tire fit in the spare location?
I this on a stock suspension? Looks like the sweet spot. Any photos would be appreciated.
It is on the stock suspension, no rubbing. I have not tried to fit a spare yet. Another alternative tire size which is pretty comparable is 255/80/17, it is more like 10.0 width.
LC1.jpg
LC2.jpg
LC3.jpg
LC4.jpg
LC5.jpg

Last edited:
OK, I'm an idiot. I was looking at diameter of the 18" 285/75 which of course is more than the 17" 285/75.

Did you attempt to fit one in spare location? How'd that go?
No, haven't tried fitting it in spare location. Have been kinda lazy to test fit

I posted this over on the suspension thread, but with so many trying to figure out how to add larger tires and the pros and cons, along with how to achieve it, I thought I would post this video here. This guy is excellent. This is part II. Part I was great too and gives good general overview. Have not watched part 3 yet.

Back