Tire Upgrade ?

Everyone seems to be running the girthy meats, but is there anyone going the pizza cutter route? ๐Ÿฟ
For the 18" wheel and a roughly 33" diameter, there don't appear to be any good pizza cutter size options that I've seen. If I'm missing something let me know, the only one I've been asked about was a roughly 32" tire, smaller than stock.

Went with Cooper Discover Road+Trail AT in the stock size.

This will never go rock climbing and these are more than capable for the no paved roads itโ€™ll go on.

so far very comfortable, smooth, and little noise.Definitely improved the ride over the stock Michelins, those road like s sponge, these feel so much more solid.

IMG_0240.jpeg

Not what he said

Good to know... so much information that is just clearly bad or miss leading? I will admit... I have no idea.. thus the research I'm doing... One thing I do know from my research is you can really mess up your drive train if you don't know what your doing! You can see this on Youtubers breaking their Tacoma's on line!

Correct me if I'm wrong.... What I have learned so far with my research on off road driving... Don't bump in 4 low... See youtube Tacoma break front diff.... from idiots that think they are off road warriors.... video

1. Craw control is only needed/used for deep Sand or Mud.

2. Never lock rear diff with high traction surfaces.

Sooo much more to learn...

Have you looked into the free offroad course? Or did I imagine that Toyota had that offer?

The vast majority of offroad is fine on 2H (if the vehicle had that). For me the challenge to learn/judge is how much momentum to carry when entering a hazard. People who grew up in snow areas probably have an advantage in this area.

Have you looked into the free offroad course? Or did I imagine that Toyota had that offer?

The vast majority of offroad is fine on 2H (if the vehicle had that). For me the challenge to learn/judge is how much momentum to carry when entering a hazard. People who grew up in snow areas probably have an advantage in this area.
looking at joining a off road club... The problem is... I'm not instrested in overland camping/travel... Too old... I want a comfortable bed with airconditioning... I just want to get to some really cool hiking trails that are harder to reach with your average all wheel drive.

looking at joining a off road club... The problem is... I'm not instrested in overland camping/travel... Too old... I want a comfortable bed with airconditioning... I just want to get to some really cool hiking trails that are harder to reach with your average all wheel drive.
I agree about the nice bed, but I do landscape photography. The best way to be well off the beaten path at dusk and dawn is to stay on location.

Car camping can be very comfortable, as many people here know. I plan to remove the larger seat section and make a flat floor.

Did you get new tpms sensors? Waiting on getting the actual vehicle on hand but I did buy new wheels and tires.
Yes - from Discount Tire. I may switch them over to the toyota sensors that come with the stock wheels however

Went with Cooper Discover Road+Trail AT in the stock size.

This will never go rock climbing and these are more than capable for the no paved roads itโ€™ll go on.

so far very comfortable, smooth, and little noise.Definitely improved the ride over the stock Michelins, those road like s sponge, these feel so much more solid.

View attachment 6099
These are excellent tires! They are the new version of their top rated all terrain tire (one of the top tires on Tirerack), I had these on my GX before I sold it and loved them. They're also 3 peak snowflake rated if you live in the northern climate.

Nokian Outpost nAT's in 275/60/20...

BTW I kept the stock Dunlops and weighed them on the same scale I weighed the combo on. Stock Dunlops are 38.8lbs, which would make the 20" wheels 37.2 lbs (76 - 38.2) by my measurements and a net +7.5lbs per wheel for the upgrade.

IMG_3780.jpeg

BTW I kept the stock Dunlops and weighed them on the same scale I weighed the combo on. Stock Dunlops are 38.8lbs, which would make the 20" wheels 37.2 lbs (76 - 38.2) by my measurements and a net +7.5lbs per wheel for the upgrade.

View attachment 6495
That's surprisingly heavy for the stock 20" tire!

View attachment 6495
Very very cool! I'll keep these in mind when the time comes. Let us know how they are on the road (handling, noise etc) compared to the Dunlops (which I know are a crap tire)

So I've got the 20 inch wheels (came this way unfortunately), but I don't mind how they look. 18s would have been ideal, but I think I want to upgrade the tires.

Currently on the dunlop 265/60/r20

Was looking at the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT LT265/60R20 121/118R, but the possibly incorrect amazon fit tool says they won't fit. Might be because it's assuming I have the 18 inch wheels.

I wonder if the LT275/60R20 123/120S would also fit.

Anyone have experience with these? Reviews seem solid.

No issue in fitting 275/60/20 tires.. quite a few people have done it on the forum with pictures posted.

No issue in fitting 275/60/20 tires.. quite a few people have done it on the forum with pictures posted.
Thatโ€™s the same size Iโ€™m wanting to switch to soon.

related: Any reason to not buy used 18" Toyota rims that came off a 1958? I have 20" wheels that came with the vehicle, and want 18" for summer.

Back