Tire Upgrade ?

related: Any reason to not buy used 18" Toyota rims that came off a 1958? I have 20" wheels that came with the vehicle, and want 18" for summer.
They are only 7" wide (vs. 7.5 for the 18" wheel on the other two trims) which might be a little more limiting on tire options.

Reactions: Don
They are only 7" wide (vs. 7.5 for the 18" wheel on the other two trims) which might be a little more limiting on tire options.
also +70 offset instead of +60.

I only know this because of your most excellent spreadsheet!

Really good to know. I'm glad I didn't buy. I'm sticking with 33" but I want as tall and wide as I can to stay within the stock spec. I don't want to give up the under vehicle spare storage.

Different, slightly narrower wheel on the 1958 at 18x7", but that'll still allow most 275/70R18 tires, with a lot of folks here showing success with BFG KO3s (what I'm running myself) and Falken Wildpeak AT4Ws in that size on the stock 1958 rims. As for other tires, the spec sheets will say what the acceptable rim range is, 7" is generally the minimum acceptable width for that size but it could vary.

Unfortunately I can't help you on the weight, but maybe somebody else can.
I'm on the fence of getting a 1958. You have the KO3's on the stock wheels? How do they run? Are they loud? Also is there a setting in the car to adjust for the larger tire size?

Also, is there a way to get a front trail camera on the 1958? This is the main feature I would like to have. Not only for off road but also for overall convenience when park at the shopping mall:oops:

The falken wild peak T4W weights:
LT265/70R18 56lb
265/70R18 50lb
LT275/70R18 60lb

all info from tirerack.com

I have no idea if the LT275/70R18 fits underneath the 1958. it's 33.43inch, so not much taller than the LT265/70R18 so I would hope it fits. It seems that these tire sizes account for the difference in ground clearance between 1958 and LC trim of 0.7 inch. does anybody have information from the manual that the LT275/70R18 is allowed on the 1958? Also, is there a setting to adjust the speedometer to the different tire sizes?

does anybody have information from the manual that the LT275/70R18 is allowed on the 1958?
That information would not be in the manual. The first fitment problem reached is the spare tire storage space. A little rubbing can be fixed.

If anyone is interested, the OEM tires on the 20" rims (Dunlop Grandtrek PT22) are produced in Japan by a company called Sumitomo Rubber Industries.

The tires are supposedly mud and snow rated, and specifically designed for Land Cruiser.

Reactions: jmo
If anyone is interested, the OEM tires on the 20" rims (Dunlop Grandtrek PT22) are produced in Japan by a company called Sumitomo Rubber Industries.

The tires are supposedly mud and snow rated, and specifically designed for Land Cruiser.

Interesting.

Wish there was more of a review instead of just a press release. I had trouble finding information on these specific tires.

Interesting.

Wish there was more of a review instead of just a press release. I had trouble finding information on these specific tires.
I don't think they are sold in the US by vendors. I only saw some being sold in Australia.

I don't think they are sold in the US by vendors. I only saw some being sold in Australia.
Yeah, doesn't seem like it. I hoped they would have gone for something a little more fitting to the car. These aren't very aggressive at all but they seem fairly comfortable on the road.

My LCLC came with 20โ€ wheels. I upgraded from the stock tires to Toyo Open Country A/T 3 in 275/60R20. Only had it for about 2 weeks, averaging ~21 mpg.

Attachments

• IMG_0844.jpeg
    IMG_0844.jpeg
    443.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0846.jpeg
    IMG_0846.jpeg
    513.3 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0848.jpeg
    IMG_0848.jpeg
    315.9 KB · Views: 157

Have another link to where you read these tires were snow-rated? Didnโ€™t read anything about that in the link. Thanks

This is interesting. I assumed Toyota would have the same width rim on both editions. This means 3 different rims for three different level land cruisers, 2 being 18" but each slightly different. Wild.

Have another link to where you read these tires were snow-rated? Didnโ€™t read anything about that in the link. Thanks
Tire itself has M+S written next to the size.

Reactions: jmo
Can anyone with AT4 comment on road noise from the tires? I wonder of the AT3 have less road noise. I'',m leaning towards non-LT on whatever tires I choose. May do KO2 because, in my experience on there vehicles, there isn't much road noise.

I'm not sure that E rated tires run at 80 psi make a lot of sense on a mid size vehicle unless its towing or overloaded a lot.

There is slightly more noise from the AT4Wโ€™s than the stock tire, but this is too be expected. I donโ€™t find the noise intrusive.

Iโ€™ve driven a lot of ATโ€™s and MTโ€™s on various vehicles in the past, and I find these on the very quiet end of the scale.

And I should point out that the AT4Wโ€™s are only noticeable at highway speeds. In comparison, the Duratracs I had on a Wrangler and a ZR2 made noise at any speed, once they had a few thousand K on them.

I guess I've become somewhat negative on the AT4W after watching Outdoor Auto's mostly positive review. I don't need a high mileage tire made for heavy trucks. I need an AT tire with good highway behavior and softer rubber. So I'm thinking more AT3W or KO3.

Mud is my biggest problem, but I wont run MTs. If I ran the LC heavily loaded, or towed, or ran on rocks a lot in the southwest I would be more interested in the AT4W

I guess I've become somewhat negative on the AT4W after watching Outdoor Auto's mostly positive review. I don't need a high mileage tire made for heavy trucks. I need an AT tire with good highway behavior and softer rubber. So I'm thinking more AT3W or KO3.

Mud is my biggest problem, but I wont run MTs. If I ran the LC heavily loaded, or towed, or ran on rocks a lot in the southwest I would be more interested in the AT4W
I'm leaning in your direction with your tire choice for the 20" wheels. Here's my top three picks in the 275/60/R20 size.
Hankook Dynapro AT2 RF11

Toyo Tire Open Country A/T III

Michelin LTX A/T 2

Reactions: Don
Can anyone with AT4 comment on road noise from the tires? I wonder of the AT3 have less road noise.
Theyโ€™ve got a hum over 45mph, nothing obnoxious but itโ€™s there. Louder than stock, quieter than KO2s I had on my old transit van.

The online tire reviewers suggested the AT4W should be quieter than the AT3W, which is already supposedly a relatively quiet tire (I donโ€™t have direct experience with AT3W aside from seeing them everywhere around here)

I'm leaning in your direction with your tire choice for the 20" wheels. Here's my top three picks in the 275/60/R20 size.
Hankook Dynapro AT2 RF11

Toyo Tire Open Country A/T III

Michelin LTX A/T 2
I'm turning my 20s into snow tires, and buying 17" or 18" for AT tires. Probably excessive but what I feel like doing.

We know that the stock tires are an odd choice for the LC, especially in snow country. But I do think many LC owners should probably investigate tamer AT tires that the aggressive high end ones most discussed here. Although if I lived in Denver I would make different choices, including possibly buying a Bronco instead of the LC.

But I don't want thousand of miles of tire highway drone to have marginally better off performance.

Back