Tire Upgrade ?

Anyone here have experience with trail terrain type tires? I definitely want to upgrade the stock tires but I'm not sure I need full A/T as I have an overland built 4runner for trails. I want to go up a size, have a more aggressive look and have something 3 peak rated for snow. I have LT 10 ply on my 4runner but think they are overkill for the LC given the extra weight and the 90% on road/10% good fire road travel.

I'm leaning in your direction with your tire choice for the 20" wheels. Here's my top three picks in the 275/60/R20 size.
Hankook Dynapro AT2 RF11

Toyo Tire Open Country A/T III

Michelin LTX A/T 2
This is where I am as well. Want a good road tire because that's what 99% of my driving is.

Just want something better that can also handle snow in the winter and the occasional off roading.

This is where I am as well. Want a good road tire because that's what 99% of my driving is.

Just want something better that can also handle snow in the winter and the occasional off roading.
Let me know what you end up getting?

Anyone have experience with the Michelin defenders? I live in San Diego so don’t need anything for snow and won’t take this car off road in the near future - that’s never been a hobby of mine and while I’m certainly intrigued, too scared to take my new $80k car off road as a rookie right now.

Anyone have experience with the Michelin defenders? I live in San Diego so don’t need anything for snow and won’t take this car off road in the near future - that’s never been a hobby of mine and while I’m certainly intrigued, too scared to take my new $80k car off road as a rookie right now.
I used them on my 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R, and my daughter continued to use them when I gave the car to her in 2015. We had no complaints. I think the OEM Michelin’s that came on my FE ride better, and are definitely quieter.

I’ve ordered a set of Falken Rubitreks for these exact reasons. I have AT3s on my Tundra and they’re great, but I want something more highway friendly for the Land Cruiser. They weigh much less and cost a lot less. Still an AT but with better road manners and standard load. I ordered 265/70 for my 1958. They should be in tomorrow or Tuesday.

I’ve ordered a set of Falken Rubitreks for these exact reasons. I have AT3s on my Tundra and they’re great, but I want something more highway friendly for the Land Cruiser. They weigh much less and cost a lot less. Still an AT but with better road manners and standard load. I ordered 265/70 for my 1958. They should be in tomorrow or Tuesday.
Are the Rubitreks noticeably quieter than the AT3?

Are the Rubitreks noticeably quieter than the AT3?
Supposed to be. I haven’t received mine yet but can report back after installed.
I just didn’t want to undo all the engineering that went into the 250 getting decent gas mileage. Needed something better than the 245/70 that came with the 1958 though. Seemed like a good compromise.
I’ll report back.

I don’t know all the lingo yet. When you say AT3’s, are you referring to the Toyo AT3’s? Are you saying the AT3’s have a poor ride quality on the highway?

I don’t know all the lingo yet. When you say AT3’s, are you referring to the Toyo AT3’s? Are you saying the AT3’s have a poor ride quality on the highway?
Sorry, I meant the Falken Wildpeak AT3s. They’re great tires.

Different, slightly narrower wheel on the 1958 at 18x7", but that'll still allow most 275/70R18 tires, with a lot of folks here showing success with BFG KO3s (what I'm running myself) and Falken Wildpeak AT4Ws in that size on the stock 1958 rims. As for other tires, the spec sheets will say what the acceptable rim range is, 7" is generally the minimum acceptable width for that size but it could vary.

Unfortunately I can't help you on the weight, but maybe somebody else can.
Thanks. very helpful. I'm going with Wildpeak A/T 4 at 265/70/18. I'm also looking at the 2024 Tacoma TRD 18" wheel, which is 8" width. It has a different offset, so it may stick out more, which I'm not sure about.

Please post pictures when they arrive

How is the road noise?
As posted above, there is some noise at highway speed. Noticeable, but I don’t find it intrusive.

If you’ve looking for car-like silence, you probably don’t want an aggressive AT like this.

Just ordered 285/70 17 with +35, 17” method 703’s. Will I rub or will I be ok without a lift? A lift will come when there are more options out there. Not a fan of spacers.

Back