Thoughts on Overall Looks of LC v. GX

Esquire

📛 Founding Member
Apr 27, 2024
Media
Omaha, NE
Vehicles
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited - Black / Redwood; 2016 Porsche 911 - 991.1 Carrera Base - Black / Black
I was dropping a friend off at the Lexus dealer yesterday and they had a GX in slate gray on the showroom floor.

I had a chance to look it over closely. It had the auto retractable running boards and 22” wheels. It was well equipped.

After looking at it, it is a decently attractive SUV, however, it looks surprisingly bland to me. The interior looks a bit basic.

In my opinion (I know we are biased as this is an LC Forum), the LC is a significantly better looking vehicle outside and inside.
Much more road presence and better lines.

The GX is definitely a sharp truck, however, much less rugged and more feminine with its design.

Curious as to what other think as they have both been out for a while now.

Last edited:
It appears you looked at the Luxury+ trim. Definitely a street queen, defined by the 22" wheels. However, will give Lexus credit, as they offer the Overtrail trims, when Toyota conspicuously omitted, presumably as not to impact the forthcoming new 4Runner offerings for serious off-roading.

I think they both look pretty good & overall quite similar. I’m kind of torn actually on which way to go, as I’d want the hybrid anyways once available in the GX. The LC & interior really seems to lean into its retro roots which I love, I wasn’t quite expecting that when finally checking one out in person. Which means once there’s one not spoken for here I need to check out the GX too.

I like the exterior but my opinion is that if you blindfolded me, put me inside and then removed the blindfold and asked me what Lexus I was in, I wouldn't be able to tell you. I think the interior looks too generic Lexus. I think for me the Overtrail GX would hit the sweet spot of engine and options logically but in my heart I love the retro classic look of the Landcruiser, especially the heritage blue with round lights. I picked the LC and have no regrets.

I was dropping a friend off at the Lexus dealer yesterday and they had a GX in slate gray on the showroom floor.

I had a chance to look it over closely. It had the auto retractable running boards and 22” wheels. It was well equipped.

After looking at it, it is a decently attractive SUV, however, it looks surprisingly bland to me. The interior looks a bit basic.

In my opinion (I know we are biased as this is an LC Forum), the LC is a significantly better looking vehicle outside and inside.
Much more road presence and better lines.

The GX is definitely a sharp truck, however, much less rugged and more feminine with its design.

Curious as to what other think as they have both been out for a while now.
Hi. Bought my wife a First Edition in June, it is a great truck and love the exterior in Meteor Gray. Wish there had been an alternative to black interior.
Yesterday picked up my GX550 Overtrail in Nori Green with the tan/black seats. Have to say it both drives and looks great!
Can’t go wrong with either.

Back