The only thing I would say is the sound

How I feel about the sound of the 2.4L, inline 4-cylinder, turbocharged, I-FORCE MAX power unit in the Land Cruiser is completely analogous to how I feel about the current 1.6L, V6, turbocharged, hybrid power units in F1. They are technological marvels in terms of performance, reliability, and relative fuel economy, but they just don’t evoke the same visceral feeling of the V12, V10, and V8 eras that preceded them.

So now with the KO3's and the preferred driving characteristics, I can unequivocally say that I absolutely love everything about this vehicle - except the sound. I definitely would like to hear more of the goings on from the powertrain. Probably won't do anything about it but that's my honest feedback about it.

So today I drove down/up the steep asphalt road from our cabin at 2800 ft into town at 1200 ft. This road has numerous hairpins that you generally take at about 10 mph. I was carrying gas cans and had the windows down.

Honestly, the sound was pretty great. Very diesel-like, with ability to pull hard at low rpm’s. There is nothing fake going on here. I’ve been up and down this road with many different vehicles and the LC performance was among the best and the coolest.

The sewing machine sound of the engine is where it's at. No way I drown that noise. out
My FJ62 Landcruiser has the exact same sewing machine sound. Just more pronounced. Its how they have always sounded.

So today I drove down/up the steep asphalt road from our cabin at 2800 ft into town at 1200 ft. This road has numerous hairpins that you generally take at about 10 mph. I was carrying gas cans and had the windows down.

Honestly, the sound was pretty great. Very diesel-like, with ability to pull hard at low rpm’s. There is nothing fake going on here. I’ve been up and down this road with many different vehicles and the LC performance was among the best and the coolest.
That is great hear it performs so well in the higher altitudes as well. We frequent Winter Park and Vail during snow ski season.

I am, frankly, amazed at how quickly and seamlessly the LC gets up and moves. Both from a stop and from speed on the highway.
And it does this with very low RPMs—-so the engine is just loafing along and not stressed at all. Great for longevity.

The altitude and performance and turbos go hand-in-hand with personal aircraft. Seasoned private pilots who fly in high altitudes always purchase turbos for performance and to avoid density altitude stalls.

Once again, well done Land Cruiser.

Back