The hybrid that can't...

The T24A-FTS has two fuel injection systems as part of D4s. When the port injectors take over the direct injection noise will stop.

Depending engine load, emissions compliance etc the engine can switch seamlessly between direct or port injection.

I’m not so concerned but more curious. Why would the injector noise stop and start with the cooling fan ( eng temp) then stop when I rev it a few times.?
the engine is D4S(it has both direct and port injection) so it will switch between both of them.

Just rolled down my window tonight on a short drive and heard this exact noise. I have 1,300 miles on my LC LC Premium and just had the first oil change done last week at a Jiffy Lube so I didn’t see the oil or have a reason to ask to see it as I hadn’t read this thread until tonight. I’m guessing it’s been making this noise for a while and I just hadn’t noticed it before because I haven’t been driving with the window down very often while the engine is warming up.

My VIN has a 5 after the R so that would mean mine is built at Tahara.

I’m gonna monitor this thread and wait to take it into my Toyota dealership till we know a little more and/or I take it in for my 5,000 mile oil change.

I really hope it’s nothing super concerning or major. I love my LC too much to have to do something major like get a replacement or something else.

Fingers crossed we get some clarity soon….for all of our sanity 🫠
Mine was built at Tahara as well. I have the exact same ticking noise as I accelerate up to 20 mph...after my LC starts going uphill. This happens only when the engine is cold and then goes away after about a minute. I'm bringing it to the dealership so they can hear it, but I don't want them taking it apart, that is for sure. Everything else runs great, just makes me frustrated after spending this much on a new vehicle. And I agree that it isn't just a normal sound, but something is off here. Any update to your vehicle?

Mine was built at Tahara as well. I have the exact same ticking noise as I accelerate up to 20 mph...after my LC starts going uphill. This happens only when the engine is cold and then goes away after about a minute. I'm bringing it to the dealership so they can hear it, but I don't want them taking it apart, that is for sure. Everything else runs great, just makes me frustrated after spending this much on a new vehicle. And I agree that it isn't just a normal sound, but something is off here. Any update to your vehicle?
100% same page and same scenario. I have not taken mine in yet. My hope is it's nothing too concerning or major since it's not throwing any error codes. I was gonna wait until my 5K service but might take in sooner. I also don't want them taking apart my engine as everything else seems to be running well. Let me know what happens at your dealership.

I have the issue with my 1958. The exact same sound as this video:

After reading through two threads on this issue, it seems that many LC owners are reporting their LC's are having this sound after a cold start. It's slightly comforting that many folks have the same issue. (Maybe it's not an issue?). I hope not, or at least it be a simple recall fix.

The noise doesn't seem to affect any performance from the truck or throw any warning lights at us. But I would love it Toyota would give us an answer. I did report the issue to Toyota via the new vehicle survey. I also plan on emailing them directly with a video link. Who knows if I'll get anything back.

Not planning on taking the LC in for it yet, but I am thinking about it. I just need some piece of mind at the very least.

After reading through two threads on this issue, it seems that many LC owners are reporting their LC's are having this sound after a cold start. It's slightly comforting that many folks have the same issue. (Maybe it's not an issue?). I hope not, or at least it be a simple recall fix.

The noise doesn't seem to affect any performance from the truck or throw any warning lights at us. But I would love it Toyota would give us an answer. I did report the issue to Toyota via the new vehicle survey. I also plan on emailing them directly with a video link. Who knows if I'll get anything back.

Not planning on taking the LC in for it yet, but I am thinking about it. I just need some piece of mind at the very least.

exactly what mine has been doing since day one- I now have just over 1,ooo miles - where do you send the email to Toyota ?

+1 for me too. Such a weird sound to have on a hybrid :/

Have you guys had a listen to another direct injection engine? They are inherently noisy, but I don't want to assume that it is a normal sound for your trucks. Mine sounds similar to my GR86 so I'm not losing any sleep over it.

My 4Runner ticked as well. Might just be the auditory nature of the fueling system or the VVT. No lights, no worries IMHO.

100% same page and same scenario. I have not taken mine in yet. My hope is it's nothing too concerning or major since it's not throwing any error codes. I was gonna wait until my 5K service but might take in sooner. I also don't want them taking apart my engine as everything else seems to be running well. Let me know what happens at your dealership.
Took it into the dealer, the tech couldn't hear it, because it wasn't sitting long enough to cool down, which is when the sound happens and I couldn't leave it overnight. I explained the ticking sound during acceleration and the assumption by them is it has to do with how the engine is designed and there most likely isn't anything wrong. They told me to just see if it changes or gets worse and that they are completely willing to keep it overnight when I can drop it off and check it again. I know it's not a rotational issue, so maybe just injector when it is a cold start? I'm not worried, but will keep an eye on it. As I mentioned, engine runs great, solid power, just a newer type of engine I have never had before. I was used to my 2003 v-8 4Runner prior to this one.

Took it into the dealer, the tech couldn't hear it, because it wasn't sitting long enough to cool down, which is when the sound happens and I couldn't leave it overnight. I explained the ticking sound during acceleration and the assumption by them is it has to do with how the engine is designed and there most likely isn't anything wrong. They told me to just see if it changes or gets worse and that they are completely willing to keep it overnight when I can drop it off and check it again. I know it's not a rotational issue, so maybe just injector when it is a cold start? I'm not worried, but will keep an eye on it. As I mentioned, engine runs great, solid power, just a newer type of engine I have never had before. I was used to my 2003 v-8 4Runner prior to this one.
Yea.. as long as there are no check engine lights coming on, I think that I am going to toss my ‘worry beads’ out the window on this topic.

Team, new to the forum but happened upon this thread. I'm at the dealer now. I mentioned a tick as well (unknown to thread at the time). Mine isn't always cold, but very loud under light accel (intermittent).

The technician stated that the direct injectors go through cleaning modes in which it will make this noise. I'm a former technician, and figured it was probably the Direct Injection, but wanted it noted and looked at just in case.

So at this point in time, that's what they're saying. Just wanted to share my experience.

Back