Temporary VIN?

Michaelnaut

📛 Founding Member
Sep 14, 2024
Philly Burbs
So put my order in for an LC in Trail Dust/Java w/the Premium Package. Was told when I gave them the deposit that it'd be something like 3-6 months, no biggie. Got a call from the sales rep Friday that the order was picked up after being submitted and now being built. Asked about a VIN and was told that he only has a "temporary VIN" and the regular one wouldn't be available until further along the process. Anyone ever heard of a temp VIN before?

Yes my dealer mentioned this. I do not recall the reason for the temporary VIN but the reasoning / rationale made sense at the time.

Temp VINs are when builds are allocated. Usually last four are alpha numeric. During build process they will change to permanent VIN to all numbers during production process.

I put down a deposit on an allocation a few weeks ago. Just got the VIN last week - last 4 digits are all numbers.

Today I decided to Google the VIN to see what information was out there. I was surprised to see that at least four dealers - mostly but not entirely dealers in the same ownership network as the one where I bought mine - are showing this VIN as in-transit inventory.

It’s an interesting supply and demand game. The dealers want to get you into a conversation by any means necessary. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind if they had six people with deposits down on the same vehicle. Nothing in my paperwork says that they can’t do that. Hopefully I’m first in line, since I made my deposit before the truck had a VIN.

Last edited:
Back