Tacoma owners reporting transmission failures

My understanding is yes, it does. However, have read where possibly the Tacoma has deleted the external transmission cooler. Hope that is not the case on the LC. Possibly an owner can verify re the LC?

My understanding is yes, it does. However, have read where possibly the Tacoma has deleted the external transmission cooler. Hope that is not the case on the LC. Possibly an owner can verify re the LC?
Does the LC have an external tranny cooler? I haven’t even looked…. 🤭

Would that qualify as a lemon law situation?

With all these fun Toyota stories lately did anyone spring for the extended warranty at or post purchase? Never bought a new car warranty in my life but I'm thinking of extending that coverage through fidelity.

With all these fun Toyota stories lately did anyone spring for the extended warranty at or post purchase? Never bought a new car warranty in my life but I'm thinking of extending that coverage through fidelity.
No because if something like this is going to fail, it will not wait 5 years to fail.

Article is somewhat of a click bait. There are 13 powertrain complaints on nhtsa website for 2024 Tacoma. As a comparison 2024 Wrangler has 25 engine and 10 powertrain complaints.

Last edited:
Does the LC have an external tranny cooler? I haven’t even looked…. 🤭
Diagram of the LC's transmission cooler from elsewhere on this forum attached below.

I've heard lots of complains of the Tacoma transmission running hot just driving around. So far I've only hear that for the Land Cruiser when it's towing. It should be easy to add an additional cooler with the current setup.

1719495769137-2.png

Source: Transmission overheating issue

I saw that behind the radiator. I was wonder what that was, now I know thanks.

Yepper, lifetime powertrain warranty, 11 year 120K everything else (excluding wear items) $2300. Some may think I'm silly but you really don't know if the longer warranties will be available in three years. Most extended warranties start on the first day of service (when someone first buys the vehicle) and the price isn't going to go down...........

Yepper, lifetime powertrain warranty, 11 year 120K everything else (excluding wear items) $2300. Some may think I'm silly but you really don't know if the longer warranties will be available in three years. Most extended warranties start on the first day of service (when someone first buys the vehicle) and the price isn't going to go down...........
Thats not bad. I never buy them.

Where did you get it for that price?

No because if something like this is going to fail, it will not wait 5 years to fail.

Article is somewhat of a click bait. There are 13 powertrain complaints on nhtsa website for 2024 Tacoma. As a comparison 2024 Wrangler has 25 engine and 10 powertrain complaints.
Yeah after i posted this i scrolled through the tacoma forum and couldnt find hardly anything on this topic and realized it probably is click bait

I've never bought a warranty in my life but yes, I did on my LC, $2800 for 100,000 miles/10 years extension of the 3 year/36,000 standard warranty

My dealer wanted $4995 for that….

Diagram of the LC's transmission cooler from elsewhere on this forum attached below.

I've heard lots of complains of the Tacoma transmission running hot just driving around. So far I've only hear that for the Land Cruiser when it's towing. It should be easy to add an additional cooler with the current setup.

View attachment 6734

Source: Transmission overheating issue
“An additional ATF cooler is built into the radiator to ensure cooling performance”….. My heart sank when I saw that on the above diagram. That really sucks dirty pond water. My X GF had an ‘06 Pathfinder. They were known for the tranny cooler, inside of the radiator, going bad and causing the dreaded ‘SMOD’. (Strawberry Milkshake Of Death), which destroys the tranny, and probably the engine as well. Luckily, I found out about it before it happened, and swapped her radiator out for a new and improved OEM one. Expensive, but worth it.

Last edited:
“An additional ATF cooler is built into the radiator to ensure cooling performance”….. My heart sank when I saw that on the above diagram. That really sucks dirty pond water. My X GF had an ‘06 Pathfinder. They were known for the tranny coolers in the radiator going bad, and causing the dreaded ‘SMOD’. (Strawberry Milkshake Of Death), which destroys the tranny, and probably the engine as well. Luckily, I found out about it before it happened, and swapped her radiator out for a new and improved OEM one. Expensive, but worth it.
Did that in my 3rd gen 4 runner for the same reason.

Back