Tacoma owners reporting transmission failures

This is interesting, as I was under the impression, short of the DC motor and associated clutches forward of the transmission, they were the same 8-speed internally...
Me too, curious about this. Haven’t seen whether the tacomas having the transmission issues are hybrid or not.

I thought hard about get a extended warranty, but if in 3 years the track record of the LC isn't favorable, time to find another car, or maybe buy a warranty then...

My last two cars barely made 2 years (one got totaled 2 years in and other one started to leak oil between the engine and the transmission @4000 miles and a sold it back to another dealer within a week)
So who knows.
if it start to act up, time to say bye bye 😅

Um, yep. That’s how most insurance (that isn’t required by law) is sold.

if "peace of mind" is a dopamine response to a sales pitch due to financial ignorance, then sure. But the dealers finance manager selling the insurance doesn't buy extended warranties. For him that sort of purchase would not bring peace of mind. He would just be choosing to be poorer.

It's ironic that on new car forms there are discussions about extended warranties and how smart someone was about getting a windshield replacement add-on. Never seen a discussion about liability coverage or umbrella policies.

if "peace of mind" is a dopamine response to a sales pitch due to financial ignorance, then sure. But the dealers finance manager selling the insurance doesn't buy extended warranties. For him that sort of purchase would not bring peace of mind. He would just be choosing to be poorer.

It's ironic that on new car forms there are discussions about extended warranties and how smart someone was about getting a windshield replacement add-on. Never seen a discussion about liability coverage or umbrella policies.
I think people are free to spend their money as they see fit. There is nothing smart or not-smart either way. Peace of mind also definitely has some value, would you buy a car 5K off if it came with no warranty at all? Some will say yes, some will say no.

I think people are free to spend their money as they see fit. There is nothing smart or not-smart either way. Peace of mind also definitely has some value, would you buy a car 5K off if it came with no warranty at all? Some will say yes, some will say no.
Of course. You are also free to be one of those guys in his sixties handing me coffee at the McDonalds drive through. As long as your poor financial decisions don't affect my taxes I don't care.

Of course. You are also free to be one of those guys in his sixties handing me coffee at the McDonalds drive through. As long as your poor financial decisions don't affect my taxes I don't t care.
lol who hurt you? Imagine getting this worked up over someone else’s financial decisions.

This place has been wonderfully free of people being jerks, it would be great to keep it that way. Very much appreciate the welcome respite from the adversarial tone that’s become all too common pretty much everywhere else in the world these days.

This place has been wonderfully free of people being jerks, it would be great to keep it that way. Very much appreciate the welcome respite from the adversarial tone that’s become all too common pretty much everywhere else in the world these days.
I agree!

To quote a FB meme:

"Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right"

Dude you don't have to be a jerk to someone who doesn't agree with you.
You haven't disagreed with me. To do that you would need to make a financial case that an extended warranty is better than self funding repairs. There is a case to be made for poor people who are buying used vehicles to lock in a cost per month. Not being able to get to work at McDonalds may be a major financial issue worth insuring against. But no one would buy a new, expensive, completely unnecessary vehicle yet they could not easily pay for a transmission replacement, right?

It's not my opinion that extended warranties have a strongly negative expected value.

smells like actuarial tables, super poligrip, and lack of critical thinking up in this piece…

Can we get back to discussing any potential differences between the Taco and LC transmissions?
There only relevant report seems to on the TRD Pro which broke down at a few hundred miles. I don't know why the non-hybrid failures would be relevant.

A single failure happens. I would be more concerned if the oldest 2024 hybrid Tacos were having issues.

But those concerned should note that modifying vehicles may eliminate the lemon law option.

You haven't disagreed with me. To do that you would need to make a financial case that an extended warranty is better than self funding repairs. There is a case to be made for poor people who are buying used vehicles to lock in a cost per month. Not being able to get to work at McDonalds may be a major financial issue worth insuring against. But no one would buy a new, expensive, completely unnecessary vehicle yet they could not easily pay for a transmission replacement, right?

It's not my opinion that extended warranties have a strongly negative expected value.
You're one of them...... your way or it's wrong.

There are many people out there who can easily afford a new transmission and many paid cash for their LC and some took out a loan. Get off your high horse.

Of course. You are also free to be one of those guys in his sixties handing me coffee at the McDonalds drive through. As long as your poor financial decisions don't affect my taxes I don't care.

Lets tone down this stuff everyone, please. This is a friendly community and I'd like to keep it that way.

No because if something like this is going to fail, it will not wait 5 years to fail.

Article is somewhat of a click bait. There are 13 powertrain complaints on nhtsa website for 2024 Tacoma. As a comparison 2024 Wrangler has 25 engine and 10 powertrain complaints.
The 13 complaints amount to 0.0001% of all Tacoma trucks sold during the first half ending June 2024. Would be great if there were no complaints but 1/100th of one percent is minuscule.

Time will tell if our Japanese built variants suffer the same fate. I’m coming off back to back U.S. built autos with powertrain failures in warranty. Sold both. Losing confidence in quality controls.

Back