Stock land cruiser goes down Black Bear Pass in Telluride CO

Had ours in Ouray last weekend. Wife opted for our Rzr for Imogene. Stock tires makes her a bit nervous on a trail like that. Such a beautiful place. Saw so many legendary LCโ€™s but zero 250โ€™s. Got a ton of rubber neckers in town checking out our ride.

Attachments

• IMG_6008.jpeg
    IMG_6008.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 137
Just saw this video. Not sure if somebody already posted it. But if a stock LC can do this on stock tires then 99.9% of owners have to never worry about the LC not being capable enough off road.๐Ÿ˜Ž

That wonโ€™t stop a bunch of owners from installing cheap spacer lifts and larger tires to do less challenging off roading, ruining ride quality, fuel efficiency, handling, and braking in the process.

Not saying there wonโ€™t be super high quality suspensions with lift on the market for the LC that are well engineered and tuned. The problem is that only a tiny percentage of owners who want to enhance off-road capabilities will buy the very pricey, but good aftermarket parts. Most wonโ€™t and will end up with an inferior quality product compared to what rolled out of the factory.

It really is nice to see what Miss Daisy is capable of accomplishing, but I donโ€™t think I will be doing stuff like that. It would just be too nerve racking..

That wonโ€™t stop a bunch of owners from installing cheap spacer lifts and larger tires to do less challenging off roading, ruining ride quality, fuel efficiency, handling, and braking in the process.

Not saying there wonโ€™t be super high quality suspensions with lift on the market for the LC that are well engineered and tuned. The problem is that only a tiny percentage of owners and wait a couple of yearswho want to enhance off-road capabilities will buy the very pricey, but good aftermarket parts. Most wonโ€™t and will end up with an inferior quality product compared to what rolled out of the factory.
I will be holding out for whatever Dobinson comes up with and wait for a couple of years for my lift.

Your plan is better than most.

Iโ€™d rather wait and do something right than waste money on half assed solutions.

In the case of the Land Cruiser I would say 99% of owners, including those who go off road, donโ€™t need anything more that some good all terrain tires, the FE style skid plates, maybe rock sliders, and some decent recovery gear. They can save money, and maintain the good road manners that make something like a Land Cruiser an excellent all around vehicle.

Your plan is better than most.

Iโ€™d rather wait and do something right than waste money on half assed solutions.

In the case of the Land Cruiser I would say 99% of owners, including those who go off road, donโ€™t need anything more that some good all terrain tires, the FE style skid plates, maybe rock sliders, and some decent recovery gear. They can save money, and maintain the good road manners that make something like a Land Cruiser an excellent all around vehicle.
A ~1" leveling lift for the front would be nice since the low clearance point is up there. I'm with you though, I see all kinds of spacer lifts appearing and I don't really want to reduce the Land Cruiser's excellent articulation range with one of those, I'll wait until there's a real suspension option and stick with, at most, slightly upsized tires until then.

Sure thereโ€™s a lower clearance at the front, but the LC just waltzed through a fairly challenging trail without too much trouble. Maybe not worth worrying about. Especially if a guy can put 34โ€s or 35โ€s under it without modification.

Just saw this video. Not sure if somebody already posted it. But if a stock LC can do this on stock tires then 99.9% of owners have to never worry about the LC not being capable enough off road.๐Ÿ˜Ž

I've driven up Imogen 3 times in a Rubicon and it is not for the faint of heart. Never did Black Bear due to the difficulty. Not surprised they made it but it was obvious by the style of support vehicles traveling with them they knew it was going to be iffy. Add a two inch lift and rock grabber tires and it's going anywhere with enough room for multi point turns. A tight hairpin turn along a cliff is really the only obstacle that would stick the LC250. I will keep mine stock (except for the engine and transmission skid plates) for the ride quality on my way to the less difficult trails.

Last edited:
I've driven up Imogen 3 times in a Rubicon and it is not for the faint of heart. Never did Black Bear due to the difficulty. Not surprised they made it but it was obvious by the style of support vehicles traveling with them they knew it was going to be iffy. Add a two inch lift and rock grabber tires and it's going anywhere with enough room for multi point turns. A tight hairpin turn along a cliff is really the only obstacle that would stick the 250. Having said all that I will keep mine stock for the ride quality and take on less difficulty without having to stress out about whether those tires were going to make it or not.
LC being a fulltime 4wd vehicle with torsen central diff would actually make tight hairpins easier compared to part time 4wd systems that most off-roaders have.

Thanks. I hadn't considered that. I guess I am just looking at the LC wheelbase. Same with full size pickups, tahoes, 4 door jeeps and broncos. I am curious now though. Does the torsion central diff overcome the wheel base length problem and put it on par with a 2 door jeep or other short wheelbase crawlers? I know I am splitting hairs here in that you should already know about a hairpin that extreme before you hit the trail and I know that those types of hairpins are not common on most trails we all seek to conquer.

I've driven up Imogen 3 times in a Rubicon and it is not for the faint of heart. Never did Black Bear due to the difficulty. Not surprised they made it but it was obvious by the style of support vehicles traveling with them they knew it was going to be iffy. Add a two inch lift and rock grabber tires and it's going anywhere with enough room for multi point turns. A tight hairpin turn along a cliff is really the only obstacle that would stick the LC250. I will keep mine stock (except for the engine and transmission skid plates) for the ride quality on my way to the less difficult trails.

My solution for really challenging trails would involve a nice flat bed utility trailer with a Rzr or some other off road toy. Tow it to your play ground with the LC, go play, donโ€™t sweat breaking or wadding up your daily driver.

Last edited:
LC being a fulltime 4wd vehicle with torsen central diff would actually make tight hairpins easier compared to part time 4wd systems that most off-roaders have.
But the torsen center diff is actively locked in 4Lo so you're still binding (unless you're taking those turns in Hi.)

Thanks. I hadn't considered that. I guess I am just looking at the LC wheelbase. Same with full size pickups, tahoes, 4 door jeeps and broncos. I am curious now though. Does the torsion central diff overcome the wheel base length problem and put it on par with a 2 door jeep or other short wheelbase crawlers? I know I am splitting hairs here in that you should already know about a hairpin that extreme before you hit the trail and I know that those types of hairpins are not common on most trails we all seek to conquer.
Hard to say what it will be compared to shorter wheelbase vehicles without making actual measurements, but it will be able to make sharper turns compared to vehicles of similar wheelbase.

But the torsen center diff is actively locked in 4Lo so you're still binding (unless you're taking those turns in Hi.)
I am sure people will come up with mods that allow engaging 4wd low with center diff unlocked. At least in tacoma, people figures out how to engage rear diff lock in 4wd HI.

Back