Round vs rectangular headlights - interchangeable?

shwazz714

📛 Founding Member
May 5, 2024
san diego
Vehicles
2024 LC
Do we know for sure if the headlights are interchangeable down the road? Seems like they would be.

I keep going back and forth between which ones I like better and right now I’m on team round but have rectangular reserved. Outside of the headlights (and fe embossing on doors) I don’t need any of the other additional features of the FE. Feel like if they are interchangeable it’ll cost less than $7k to put the rounds in….

Thoughts?

They are interchangeable and I doubt they will cost that much. But Toyota has confirmed that they are.

Would really be interested in the cost to convert from rectangular to round. Would wager several hundred dollars per side. Also, would like to know the comparative "see down the road" effectiveness. Where the rubber meets the road, but in this case, lighting. Lot of critters on the roads hereabouts, up to and including moose.

I am hoping down the road to find some local guys that want to swap round for square and vice versa. That way neither of us is out of pocket.

Would really be interested in the cost to convert from rectangular to round. Would wager several hundred dollars per side. Also, would like to know the comparative "see down the road" effectiveness. Where the rubber meets the road, but in this case, lighting. Lot of critters on the roads hereabouts, up to and including moose.

Well I would bet money that the rectangular units with 3 projectors on each side that are probably optically designed to cast light in a particular pattern and focus will outperform the round units with a single projector. Both in pattern and total lumens and candela.

Reactions: fhb
Well I would bet money that the rectangular units with 3 projectors on each side that are probably optically designed to cast light in a particular pattern and focus will outperform the round units with a single projector. Both in pattern and total lumens and candela.
Great subject for a test video.

It is strange Toyota would choose the round headlights for the entry-level (1958), and the top-of-the-line ("Land Cruiser") trim levels.
Got to go Retro...

Bet they are and I bet they cost thousands :LOL:

It is strange Toyota would choose the round headlights for the entry-level (1958), and the top-of-the-line ("Land Cruiser") trim levels.

The Land Cruiser trim gets rectangular triple beam LED projectors.

The 1958 gets them because it has to hit a price point and have retro looks, the First Edition is just a strait up money grab, so inferior cheap headlights for more $$$ pads Toyota’s bottom line.

The Land Cruiser trim gets rectangular triple beam LED projectors.

The 1958 gets them because it has to hit a price point and have retro looks, the First Edition is just a strait up money grab, so inferior cheap headlights for more $$$ pads Toyota’s bottom line.
OOPS, my error. Should have been First Edition...

As an example a Toyota Grand Highlander uses single projector LED lights, and is rated as “acceptable” by the IIHS.

Meanwhile higher trim level Tundra models with triple beam LED projectors get the highest “good” rating by IIHS.

Notice the superior throw of the high beams when the projector optic is optimized for the purpose.

As an example a Toyota Grand Highlander uses single projector LED lights, and is rated as “acceptable” by the IIHS.

Meanwhile higher trim level Tundra models with triple beam LED projectors get the highest “good” rating by IIHS.

Notice the superior throw of the high beams when the projector optic is optimized for the purpose.
Can't argue about the qty of light from the LEDs and I actually love the lumens....... but there's something cool about the round lights. Wish they would've put triple projectors in the round housing, that would have been something. But There are just too many buyers that like just the opposite.

Our 1990 FJ62 had rectangular headlights... Are they attempting to cover all bases?
This is what I see in the rectangular headlights. I like them! Everybody else does round, obviously because at the time all headlights were round. Square is kind of a unique retro look to lean into for the LC.

Back