Removing front grill

You must be an extraterrestrial alien with ET fingers, because that's way deep in there. Thought about removing the grille, but that seems to be a bitch too.
Pro trip:
Take a piece of painters tape (1-2"), loosely place it over the opening of a socket, sticky side towards the socket, then force the nut into the socket. The tape acts like a non-permanent shim and will keep the nut securely in the socket until it screws onto the bolt. I also use painters tape wrapped around universal socket extensions to make them less floppy when using them in tight quarters.

After removing the shroud like @EOD Guy suggested, I used a small ratchet along with an extension and deep well socket to install mine. Was pretty fiddly to install with the grille shutters in the way, but I'm happy with the result!

View attachment 11779
Is your badge backwards? I thought the yellow was at the end or does it matter?

I need to know before I install mine 😆

I've never had it completely off and it looks quite involved, not hard but a lot of pieces.

My suggestion is to use colored sticker dots or pieces of painters tape to mark the locations/holes of the bolts/fasteners you remove. Having removed many of the panels on my LC at some point, I can tell you that even with a lot of experience as a mechanic and thinking "I'll remember where everything goes" The LC has so many panels that interlock/overlap and so many different types of bolts/screws/fasteners it's very hard to keep track of all of them.

When removing something I've never removed before, I normally use my cell phone and take a picture of each step etc........ even that method had me scratching my head. I purchased some colored sticker dots from Amazon (4 colors), I place a dot on the fastener and same colored dot on the hole (same color for each type fastener) it, along with pictures, allows a simple reassembly process.
Can I ask where you get drawings and instructions like this? Do mortals have access or just special people?
Thx

Can I ask where you get drawings and instructions like this? Do mortals have access or just special people?
Thx
Anyone can subscribe to Toyota's TIS website. I think they have a 3 day, 30 day and annual subscriptions

Every time I buy a Toyota and I don't already have the wiring diagrams/maintenance data, I subscribe for a month ($100 bucks) and download the pages as PDFs. You have to download each document, give it a name and save it to your computer as a PDF, so it takes a long time......... I have thousands of PDFs concerning Toyotas and the only complaint I have with the TIS site is.......... some pages have hyperlinks and when you click the hyperlink....... sometimes it opens up in the page currently open (expands the existing page) and sometimes it closes the existing page and opens up a new page which is super confusing and you get lost pretty quick! Naming conventions are a MUST or you'll never find what you are searching for at a later date. Additionally the naming convention has got to be similar to Toyota's or you'll never find the hyperlinked (identified in TIS) document again.

On my 08 Tacoma, I actually hyperlinked all the PDFs via an Excell spreadsheet, took almost 2 months and in the end the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. So now I have raw PDFs named exactly what TIS had them titled as (titles that do not make logical sense when searching for a specific component) and I open each PDF and give it a logical name that's easy to search for, then save it in another folder. Sometimes a PDF fits into two or more areas so I save the same PDF under different names........ ie... interior trim panels are in 20-30 different PDFs so each one of them start with "Interior Trim Panel" and which panel it contains.

Sorry for the long winded post, but wanted you to understand, it's not as easy as searching for something on TIS then downloading it to your computer.

Back