Rear seat rattle on the floor catch?

MarineVet6113

📛 Founding Member
Jul 30, 2024
Florida
Vehicles
24 Landcruiser
Sometimes over rougher patches of road I am hearing a rattle which I am pretty sure is where it latches to the little bar on the floor. The little catch for the latch. You can’t really reproduce it shaking the seat but over rougher roads it’s pretty annoying. Anyone else had this issue? My Landcruiser is a little over a week old and I’m not sure if I should take it in or not because I already had a rattle worked out on the seatbelt piller in back at the dealer.

Can those latches even be adjusted? Just curious if anyone else had similar issue and what you did with it. I’ve heard of wrapping tape like electrical tape around the catch to dampen the metal to metal contact. Also heard putting blankets or towels under seat then closing to crest more upward tension against the lock. Not sure I should have to do this on a new vehicle but if it can be adjusted somehow then I guess I could do another dealer visit. Any ideas or input?

I don't have a rattle in the rear seat but there is a rattle in the seatbelt pillar. What did the rattle end up being? I heard it could be the door striker and latch mechanism.

I don't have a rattle in the rear seat but there is a rattle in the seatbelt pillar. What did the rattle end up being? I heard it could be the door striker and latch mechanism.
My seat rattle comes and goes which is weird. Yesterday I unlatched it and kind of gave it some force to close it and didn’t really hear it after.

As far as the seatbelt column they didn’t really tell me much. I know they put sound proofing in that area. It had to go twice for it as the first time didn’t correct it. I not longer really hear it when driving. Sometime sitting in back I feel like I can faintly hear it maybe but not enough that I feel like taking it back a 3rd time yet.

I experience that rattle as well. The folding rear seat latch is unlike the 4Runner that has a latch for the back rest holding seat securely in place.

I experience that rattle as well. The folding rear seat latch is unlike the 4Runner that has a latch for the back rest holding seat securely in place.
It’s pretty annoying. Sometimes it doesn’t rattle at all and other times it’s non stop. Just wondering if I should bother with dealer or if someone had some great ideas to address it. I already plan on putting some extra cushion like tape around all the plastic trays and things in back aft of the battery and because the compartment door where the jack wrench is is so light it likes to bounce up and down so I’m thinking some Velcro might help that…but the seat is like a metal to metal sound so it’s pretty audible sometimes.

I have had my LC since Saturday and am experiencing the same rattle. Going to add cushion to the brackets this weekend to see if that
That might be a good idea. I did try some cloth tape around the latch but it got stuck so wouldn’t suggest that. lol. Fortunately I was able to get it back up but went for a ride and looks like what I may be hearing more is the rattle I have behind the seatbelt pillar. Looks like it’s going to the dealer a 3rd time. I love the truck but these rattles are a bit annoying. Hearing them on pavement they are just gonna be way worse off road.

That might be a good idea. I did try some cloth tape around the latch but it got stuck so wouldn’t suggest that. lol. Fortunately I was able to get it back up but went for a ride and looks like what I may be hearing more is the rattle I have behind the seatbelt pillar. Looks like it’s going to the dealer a 3rd time. I love the truck but these rattles are a bit annoying. Hearing them on pavement they are just gonna be way worse off road.
If you think it may be the seatbelt (b) pillar try wrapping some electrical tape around catch in the door frame. I for sure thought that the rattle was coming from the pillar but I think it is the latch. I wrapped enough so that the door wouldn't close and then backed off a couple of loops.

I tried adjusting the door catch but there isn't much play. I will have the dealer check it out when I get the chance.

If you think it may be the seatbelt (b) pillar try wrapping some electrical tape around catch in the door frame. I for sure thought that the rattle was coming from the pillar but I think it is the latch. I wrapped enough so that the door wouldn't close and then backed off a couple of loops.

I tried adjusting the door catch but there isn't much play. I will have the dealer check it out when I get the chance.
I have/had the same rattle, thought it was coming from the window, after reading this, just to verify, I wrapped some painters tape around the door catch, and that stopped it. Will get that "adjusted" at the dealership when i go in for my oil change.

I am trying to tape the striker on the doors. I did notice while washing the LC that the gas filler cover rattles and also the rear lift door spoiler also rattles. I put tape on the gas filler stub and that worked.

I have/had the same rattle, thought it was coming from the window, after reading this, just to verify, I wrapped some painters tape around the door catch, and that stopped it. Will get that "adjusted" at the dealership when i go in for my oil change.
Hmm what I thought was the seat seems to be what I hear in the seatbelt pillar in the back seat. Today I literally rode in the back trunk area and stuck my ear to everything and the sound is definitely heard inside that pillar so I am assuming it’s coming from there. In fact you can really hear it with your ere against the opening where the seatbelt comes out. The frustrating thing is it’s been to deal twice for this already and set to go a 3rd time on Monday. …so I am assuming the issue is there because they keep pulling that panel and doing something. The weird part is my wife has a theory that when it’s hot out we are hearing the noise and when it’s cool we are not. I don’t know how that could factor but it was about 90 this morning when we heard it rattling like crazy and then it rained and temps were in mid 70s and there was no sound to be heard. If I can get this resolved maybe I’ll love it. I use my
Trucks off road so if it’s doing this on pavement then off road is just gonna sound ridiculous.

The quickest and easiest thing to check (and I'm not making light of your rattle complaints):

I had someone in the back seat for the first time. When they got out, they left their seat belt slightly twisted so the latch was rattling against the door. It won't make this contact if untwisted. Just a thought.

The quickest and easiest thing to check (and I'm not making light of your rattle complaints):

I had someone in the back seat for the first time. When they got out, they left their seat belt slightly twisted so the latch was rattling against the door. It won't make this contact if untwisted. Just a thought.
Yeah I get what you are saying. I was sitting in back seat a few times and seat belt
Was good. Just made a 100 mile trip tonight and not one clunk. Starting to think my wife might be onto something with the heat of the day causing something different than the cool of the night. I am gonna test the door latch like some others have mentioned here and it may be a stretch but I almost wondering if the heat of the day could possibly expand the seal enough to make a difference in the door catch. Just a guess maybe.

I tried the tape on the door hinges, cushioned the seat brackets and sat in the rear while my wife drove over bumpy area and still heard the rattle. We have a friend that is a retired Toyota service Tech and had him take a ride. He said that the noise we hear is sometimes typical with a new Toyota with a heavy-duty suspension until it breaks in. He said to give it a few hundred miles more and it should be normal.

I have the rattle I think you're talking about too. I noticed that the seat belts do make a noise when twisted, had this in my last truck too.
For the rear hatches jumping around in the floor by the battery, I'm going to use Velcro patches to hold those more closed so bumps to irritate them as much. Fingers crossed that works.

Back