Real World mpg

Costco gas is the worst gas you can fill in your tank. Some will say it comes from the same source and it's BS. But I will ask you to test it yourself. Fill up 2 tanks in a row in costco and not your MPG on the second fill. Then fill up 2 tanks in a row in chevron and note the mpg on second fill. Compare the results. I tried this on my 5th gen and chevron gave me best range. Costco and here in canada we have petro canda gas stations which are the worst in gas mileage. Costco and petro canada gas does not even go in my lawnmower.

Respectfully disagree. I spent the first part of my career helping refineries around the world safely and efficiently make gas and diesel. There are lots of filling stations, but only so many refineries. Local stations get their fuel supplies from the same handful of regional refineries. It's the same fuel. Each refinery has a terminal for dispensing fuel into tanker trucks, and it's all the same gas and diesel going into those differently branded tankers.

There are some things that do change, though, and that could impact fuel economy and engine health:
1. Winter blend. Refineries have to meet regulations, but the exact day of when they switch between summer and winter blends will vary, and depending on how much stock is left over, changes when it hits a dispenser pump. If one station still has winter blend in their tanks and another has summer blend in their storage tanks, you'll notice a difference in mpg.
2. Ethanol. Ethanol has a lower energy potential, so the more ethanol, the less MPG. How much ethanol is included depends on the station. If one station uses no ethanol and another 10% or 15%, you'll see a difference in mpg.
3. Maintenance and turnover. Station storage tanks and trucks can become contaminated, and if the station has low fuel customer turnover, the fuel can age. It's best to use stations with more traffic for this reason. Keep it fresh.
4. Additives. This is where station brands vary the most. At the terminal where the trucks are filled, the contracts require the refiner to include the additive package advertised by the brand. Chevron Techron as an example. Not all brands have additives. Some have more than others. Costco is one of the best, plain and simple, and it's my first choice for fueling my own vehicles. High customer turnover, well maintained stations and transport trucks, and an impressive additive package. If Costco isn't available or convenient, then I select another brand from the Top Tier list and find a station that sees traffic.

Alright now we are getting somewhere. Made a 300 mile road trip today. Used eco and still had plenty of power for passing. Used the adaptive cruise control and the steering system and it worked great. Slowed down when approaching a car speed up as soon as switched lanes and there was nothing in the distance window. Steering through bends was flawless though slightly jerky.

Sorry rambled a little- so averaged 21.9 mpg at a cruise speed of 81 mph. This was hitting some of the hills in nw AR. Currently (with trip under belt) at 400 miles on the odo.

Back