Premium Fuel or not?

Here's what Toyota Brand Engagement replied when I asked them:

"We apologize, we can only advise of what is documented in the official publications, such as, the Owner's Manual."

Here's what Toyota Brand Engagement replied when I asked them:

"We apologize, we can only advise of what is documented in the official publications, such as, the Owner's Manual."
You’re never going to get a satisfactory answer for this question. Never. You are going to have to make your own informed decision.

I've never owned a Toyota before. Is this typical?
No, it is not typical. The Land Cruiser is the first vehicle that Toyota has put out with a recommendation for premium fuel, other than the supra, which was a BMW anyway. That’s why you get answers from the stealership like every Toyota takes 87.

As the old saying goes..."An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

I have always used premium in every automobile I own...there is an additive package in the Premium fuels that provides a cleaner burner, longer tank life and fuel injection component cleaning. I keep my vehicles for a minimum of 10 years...and never have had any issues with the engines...my German, Swedish, Japanese vehicles all run, perform and age better with premium.

Please know that there is no science behind my experience...it's just anecdotal observation.

If you plan to keep the vehicle for many years it's best to follow the recommended octane rating...if you're leasing the vehicle or planning to trade within a few years and don't care what happens after the lease or short term ownership ...then you're free to make a choice.

One other thought, and its been covered extensively here and kind of fits in the mentality of fuel choice...change your oil at least every 7500 miles...5K is better for turbo engines...That is if you're planning to keep the LC for many years.

No, it is not typical. The Land Cruiser is the first vehicle that Toyota has put out with a recommendation for premium fuel, other than the supra, which was a BMW anyway. That’s why you get answers from the stealership like every Toyota takes 87.
And the GR86 (which is also mostly a Subaru) and the GR Corolla

Last edited:
I wonder how sophisticated the ECU’s in our LC’s actually are?... Since it can alter the timing of the engine, to prevent knock, does it also store that much info, for the dealer's service department computer when it is hooked up to our rigs. Does Toyota monitor these kind of things??

I wonder how sophisticated the ECU’s in our LC’s actually are?... Since it can alter the timing of the engine, to prevent knock, does it also store that much info, for the dealer's service department computer when it is hooked up to our rigs. Does Toyota monitor these kind of things??
I read somewhere the ECU does store the engine knock data for diagnostic purposes of course.........

I read somewhere the ECU does store the engine knock data for diagnostic purposes of course.........
That’s what I thought. So if someone’s LC toasts its engine, for using 87 octane, Toyota corporate will be able to say, “You didn’t use the recommended fuel”, and deny a warranty claim. (?)

Possibility..... however if it starts knocking, and you continue to use a lesser quality fuel....... well that's not what I'd do. Mine's on regular runs and accelerates just fine. I'm just not worried about it.

Is engine knocking that’s caused by low octane fuel more of a damage over time concern? I had thought a single knock could be severe

Back