Oil and Filter Change, easy peasy.

Getting ready to do my 500 mile break in change. Does anyone know the torque specs of the skid plate bolts? I have the basic skid plate not the upgraded one you find in the FE.
I have the FE one but the torque was listed in the manual at 21ft lb. The manual isn't FE specific so I'd say its the same for both.

Just did the break-in oil change on my 1958. Factory oil filter was really tight. Skid plate set up is a bit different on the 1958. Two pieces--front piece is metal, back piece is plastic. The back plastic piece has a 3-bolt panel to access the oil drain plug so you don't need to remove the entire piece like I did. It has a couple hooks to help hold it in place when you re-mount it. Front metal skid plate still needs to be removed to get to the filter (4 bolts). Same here--it has some hooks to help hold it in place but not as convenient of a set up as the FE skid plate. The oil filter "drain funnel" still drips over the frame a bit which I believe I've read happened with Tacomas. Not a big deal but they should have made the oil cooler bigger so it sticks out an extra half inch :) Only other minor inconveniece is that the engine oil fill hole is shallow due to the shape of the valve cover so my funnel didnt sit it in very well. Overall, an easy oil change.
Thanks for the write up! I was confused when I got under the car the other day and it looked completely different from the other pictures in this thread.

I have the FE one but the torque was listed in the manual at 21ft lb. The manual isn't FE specific so I'd say its the same for both.
Thanks. I did not see this anywhere in the owner's manual and I even searched the PDF version. Is there a maintenance manual you are referring to? I certainly believe you, just thought I'd ask.

Someone may have already mentioned this. Apologies if that is the case. We took our 2024 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid to the dealer with a faulty parking sensor, and I told the head technician that I planned to change the oil at 750 miles. It had 500 on it when I brought it in. He pleaded with me to not do this. He said the Hyundai puts special additives into their first factory oil that is designed to help prepare the engine for long life. They want that oil in there for about 5,000 miles. So, I decided not to change it. Wonder if my 2024 LC FE, which should be here in a few days has that sort of oil from the factory? Anyone know?โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ

Someone may have already mentioned this. Apologies if that is the case. We took our 2024 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid to the dealer with a faulty parking sensor, and I told the head technician that I planned to change the oil at 750 miles. It had 500 on it when I brought it in. He pleaded with me to not do this. He said the Hyundai puts special additives into their first factory oil that is designed to help prepare the engine for long life. They want that oil in there for about 5,000 miles. So, I decided not to change it. Wonder if my 2024 LC FE, which should be here in a few days has that sort of oil from the factory? Anyone know?โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ
I think The Motor Oil Geek guy on YouTube addressed that, but I am not sure.

Car Care Nut did it on his personal Lexus and he seems to know what he's talking about. He didn't mention special additives. Another youtuber "Motor Oil Geek" also did it on his own Toyota and explained why with an actual oil sample analysis.

They went back to the metal canisters on this one. It's right in front with nothing around it and it even has a drain spout so it's not messy. The oil looked great. A little darker than new but you could see through it still as it was draining.
View attachment 2476
So, the filter is upside down?

No, horizontal pointing forward. It has a little spout so it does a pretty good job of keeping everything clean.

I donโ€™t see any of that being an issue as clean oil is better than dirty oil, hands down. The filter the lc uses is pretty common so Iโ€™d imagine theyโ€™d have an equivalent if not the original part. I picked one up at Walmart.
Just to close the loop on this. I went to a car part store and got a Toyota oil filter, then went next door to a Valvoline oil station. The said they'd be glad to put in the filter I brought. I believe there was no surcharge nor any discount for it. However, it was the wrong size filter. Fortunately, they had a private labeled Valvoline that did fit. I took the wrong one back and got a refund. They doubled checked and their parts system did show the wrong part, they did not have the correct one. BTW, that is one tiny filter, I have a bigger filter on my lawn mower.
Anyway, with a $15 coupon the price for the oil change was almost exactly what my dealer would have charged. Whilst the Valvoline station was closer, there was not any saving.
So, with about 600 miles I did my first oil change. I will do subsequent ones at a 5,000 interval. I will be sure to get my two free ones.
We head out on a 1300-mile trip. We'll take it easy on the engine, but I sleep better knowing that any grit from assembly and manufacturing got changed out early on.

I just did my first oil change at about the 1,000 mile mark. I haven't changed oil in my rigs for some time, but it did look pretty dark to me. I'm going to send it in to have it analyzed, just for kicks.
It was super easy though. DIdn't even need ramps or stands to get under it!

Just did my first/break-in oil change and installed a Fumoto oil valve. I'm honestly not the most handy person or mechanically inclined but I have done oil changes on my old car and had most of the tools so I felt comfortable doing it myself.

Tools used:
  • Ramps
  • 3/8 in ratchet
  • 12mm socket for skitplate bolts
  • extension for the 3/8 in ratchet to get to 2 of the bolts on the skidplate
  • 14mm socket for drain pan plug
  • 1/2 in ratchet for oil filter wrench attachment
  • 64mm oil filter wrench I bought at walmart
  • 3/8 in drive torque wrench
  • 14mm crowfoot wrench attachment to torque the fumoto valve to 15 ft/lbs spec. I bought this at harbor freight.
  • Toyota 90915-YZZN1 oil filter I bought at walmart
  • Fumoto F103N valve I bought from the Fumoto website.
  • Mobil 1 advanced fuel economy 0W-20 I bought at costco

The procedure was standard and simple as some of you have documented. One observation I made was that since my LC was on ramps, thus slightly angled, oil from the filter housing spilled onto the back part of the skid plate (I didn't remove the back part, only opened the access panel to the drain pan). Not a big deal as I just removed it and cleaned it off. Next time I'll remove both parts of the skidplate before removing the filter to prevent this. This is for the standard skidplate, not the FE/upgraded version. Hopefully, I get less oil on my hands/garage floor on my next oil change now that the Fumoto valve is installed. Thanks for all the info already in this thread, it helped.

Thank you for sharing. I wanted to do an oil change at 1k but wasnโ€™t sure if I should attempt it. I change the oil in my old 2000 LC and it is so easy. I used to be able to just slide under on some cardboard but my eyes have gotten old and the bolts are too close for me to see now so have to use the ramps now!

What ramps do you guys use? I havent changed my own oil in a long time but id like to start for my LC.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240729_101342_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240729_101342_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 86
Just did my first/break-in oil change and installed a Fumoto oil valve. I'm honestly not the most handy person or mechanically inclined but I have done oil changes on my old car and had most of the tools so I felt comfortable doing it myself.

Tools used:
  • Ramps
  • 3/8 in ratchet
  • 12mm socket for skitplate bolts
  • extension for the 3/8 in ratchet to get to 2 of the bolts on the skidplate
  • 14mm socket for drain pan plug
  • 1/2 in ratchet for oil filter wrench attachment
  • 64mm oil filter wrench I bought at walmart
  • 3/8 in drive torque wrench
  • 14mm crowfoot wrench attachment to torque the fumoto valve to 15 ft/lbs spec. I bought this at harbor freight.
  • Toyota 90915-YZZN1 oil filter I bought at walmart
  • Fumoto F103N valve I bought from the Fumoto website.
  • Mobil 1 advanced fuel economy 0W-20 I bought at costco

The procedure was standard and simple as some of you have documented. One observation I made was that since my LC was on ramps, thus slightly angled, oil from the filter housing spilled onto the back part of the skid plate (I didn't remove the back part, only opened the access panel to the drain pan). Not a big deal as I just removed it and cleaned it off. Next time I'll remove both parts of the skidplate before removing the filter to prevent this. This is for the standard skidplate, not the FE/upgraded version. Hopefully, I get less oil on my hands/garage floor on my next oil change now that the Fumoto valve is installed. Thanks for all the info already in this thread, it helped.
I also had to deal with the misdirected oil dripping on to the plastic panel on my 1958 after removing the filter. I'll definitely remove that panel next time.

Does anyone have a reference that cites the correct oil filter for the T24A-FTS used in 2024 Land Cruiser? Not having luck looking it up on Toyota parts sites.

Asking as I just returned from the dealer where my factory 90915-10009 filter was just replaced after my break-in oil change. I provided them a 90915-YZZN1 filter thinking that was correct only to have the tech decline it after and use a longer 90915-10010 instead (that the V35A uses). Being skeptical, I walked over to parts counter and asked for a filter and low and behold they handed me a 90915-10010. Thus, it's all a bit confusing. Does anyone have the correct part number?

Update: Errors were made by the lube tech manager and parts. 90915-YZZN1 is the correct part.

Attachments

• LandCruiserFIlters?.jpg
    LandCruiserFIlters?.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Does anyone have a reference that cites the correct oil filter for the T24A-FTS used in 2024 Land Cruiser? Not having luck looking it up on Toyota parts sites.

Asking as I just returned from the dealer where my factory 90915-10009 filter was just replaced after my break-in oil change. I provided them a 90915-YZZN1 filter thinking that was correct only to have the tech decline it after and use a longer 90915-10010 instead (that the V35A uses). Being skeptical, I walked over to parts counter and asked for a filter and lo and behold they handed me a 90915-10010. Thus, it's all a bit confusing. Does anyone have the correct part number?
I was given this one from Toyota yesterday, and literally just got done doing my oil change with it..

Back