OEM Rock Rails - hardware - bolt size request!

DctrEvil

📛 Founding Member
Nov 21, 2023
Media
Little Rock, AR
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser LC Trim
I've ordered a set of OEM rock rails from my dealer with a decent Toyota parts discount and although they're available in stock in a day or two, the "hardware kit" is backordered for quite a while. From reviewing a PDF for the rock rail installation (below), it appears that this "hardware kit" simply consists of 16 - M10 hex flange bolts with a metric 14 socket head but not sure what length. I can simply purchase these anywhere, but wanted to confirm with any helpful "rock rail owning" forum members the exact size of the bolts so I can order and have them ready for my install. The only other piece in the "hardware kit" is a little terminal plug to terminate the puddle light plug that is removed from the running boards. I can use some electrical tape for now.

And perhaps any of you that have made the switch from running board to rock rail or vice-versa, did they use the same bolts? Thanks for any help!

Screenshot 2024-09-11 at 1.43.41 PM.png

Last edited:
picked up a set of rock rails without hardware few days ago and tried M10-1.5 X 30 but would not thread
I'm thinking threading maybe JIS which would be M10-1.25
there is also M10-1 thread but I doubt they would use that for frame

@yasushi Yes, that's the thread size I was guessing as well. Do you think they need to be 30mm length or would 20mm or 25mm work?

I would think extra length of 30mm would work better when you pre-install lower set of bolts in the frame then it would be just a matter of hanging the rail using the open ended mounting holes before installing upper mounting bolts

Just bought some hex, head, flange M10 JIS (1.25 thread) 30mm bolts. They are a metric socket size 14. The ones I got at the hardware store are zinc plated, which I’m sure the Toyota version is higher quality but these work just fine and are the perfect fit.

UPDATE:
If I had just been patient, I would've learned that the rock rails each come with the necessary hardware to mount (8 - M10 1.25 Galvanized bolts and the little termination plug for the puddle light harness.). So problem solved! Thanks for your replies!

Install was easy and all done! If anyone want to purchase my running boards, PM me!

Last edited:
For the rock rail bolts, I know for certain that the correct OEM bolt is M10-1.25. I believe (but am not 100% certain) that the correct length is either 25 mm or 30 mm.

I would never use zinc coated steel for this outdoor low-to-the-ground application - only stainless steel. And, I understand that it's a good idea to use a lubricant (such as Permatec) to reduce the chance of rusting and binding, as the factory-installed rock rail bolts do have a lubricant added to the threads..

Last edited:
Back