Not sure about the LTA

Buckfever

📛 Founding Member
Apr 12, 2024
Media
Lake County, IL
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS
On the adaptive cruise control I had been using it quite a bit initially I think because it was so novel. But I had an incident on a hard curve where the lines where faded and it seemed to want to pull me into the next lane. I find it interesting as it seems to really know the capabilities of the vehicle relative to the changes in the road but I don't know that I trust it.

What are you guys thinking about it?

Land keeping requires fighting lane keeping occasionally. Tesla and I'm sure others are much better at this function.

I'm unclear as to the relationship between lane keeping and adaptive cruise control.

Driving the LC250 is definitely confirming my opinion that I don't really want "driver assists." Either give me full self driving that I can legally sleep through or just don't bother. I do like the adaptive cruise control but I've turned off everything that touches the steering wheel. To be fair I don't fault Toyota or the LC for this - I think it's just the state of things. I've never had a Tesla as a daily driver but in my experience they are NOT better at this stuff. Ha.

I think it has its place. On a well marked, straight interstate it works great if you need to quickly reach in back or check for phone for something important, but not to really trust it otherwise.

We have a RAV4 Prime with Toyota Safety Sense 2.0, and when we first got it I was dubious of all the new features (we'd never had a car with any of this stuff). After a few road trips and getting settings dialed and learning to use the 'features' (term used loosely), I think the Adaptive Cruise and LTA are by far the most useful features. Once you pay attention to the car's actions and deduce why it is doing what it is doing (for example, lane deviation when a lane line disappears on one side), it becomes quite useful. Yes, you have to use foresight and anticipate what the car is likely to do. The RAV4 runs out of steering authority pretty quickly on sharper turns at speed, so it is not very good for curvy backroads byways. Is it a 'hands off' system? Most certainly not. But for highway driving and stop and go traffic, the systems work quite well, and they are one of the reasons I wanted to move from the prehistoric 2016 4Runner.

The TSS v3.0 in our LCs is notably better, more consistent, and has more steering control authority on curvy roads. I would encourage anyone unfamiliar with such controls to really take some time to learn the systems, as some of them can be really great on long drives. You absolutely do need to be able to anticipate what the vehicle is likely to do in unusual circumstances (make sure you understand how long it takes the vehicle to detect stopped traffic in front of you at freeway speeds!!! I'm guessing it would stop, but most would probably soil their knickers!).

Driving the LC250 is definitely confirming my opinion that I don't really want "driver assists." Either give me full self driving that I can legally sleep through or just don't bother. I do like the adaptive cruise control but I've turned off everything that touches the steering wheel. To be fair I don't fault Toyota or the LC for this - I think it's just the state of things. I've never had a Tesla as a daily driver but in my experience they are NOT better at this stuff. Ha.
My opinion exactly. The tech is there, but requires you to act as a nanny to it. Just the state of the tech as you pointed out.

I thought something was wrong with my LC because the wheel would tug the other way when I changed lanes. Figured it out on day 2 and it's been deactivated since.

Just my thought. Driving a 5000-lb truck at 80mph requires your full attention. You can kill someone, yourself, or both and you owe it to other motorists to give it your best. I mean this is America, the bar was never that high, anyway.

My opinion exactly. The tech is there, but requires you to act as a nanny to it. Just the state of the tech as you pointed out.

I thought something was wrong with my LC because the wheel would tug the other way when I changed lanes. Figured it out on day 2 and it's been deactivated since.

Just my thought. Driving a 5000-lb truck at 80mph requires your full attention. You can kill someone, yourself, or both and you owe it to other motorists to give it your best. I mean this is America, the bar was never that high, anyway.
I mean it is not a hands free driving system. It’s function is to prevent the car to slide of the other next lane if the driver is not paying full attention to the road. As the name suggests, it is an assist system. Driver is still 100% responsible for driving the vehicle. I think a lot of people here are not understanding the purpose and the limitations of the system.

Admittedly some of these assists take getting used to. I hated Lane Departure Warning in my other vehicle until it taught me to ALWAYS use my turn signal even when there is no other car within 5 miles of me. Now it never beeps at me anymore.

In my LC I was initially annoyed with needing a little more pressure on the steering wheel than I was used to when using lane keeping, but after a bit I got used to it and now it never warms me anymore. I'm also leaving a bit more space to the car in front if me to keep down the auto braking in traffic.

Things like Lane Trace Assist and Proactive Driving Assist are absolutely baby steps on the way to self driving. They're not just for "oh shit" moments. Those are the things I say don't bother with. More safety focused things like Blind Spot Monitor, Driver Monitoring, and Lane Departure Alert are more of a mixed bag. Beeping at me is one thing but actuating steering definitely hits an uncanny valley between nagging the driver and driving for them. The ones that beep I've actually left on. LDA is pretty heinous in my opinion though - it's basically a 100% false positive rate. Every time I enable it I just wind up worried something is wrong with my steering until I realize the car was just confused by a seam between asphalt and concrete.

Something that people don’t realize is that while using the lane trace assist, when changing lanes, using your turn signal helps alleviate the lane trace assist from fighting you. Whether using lane trace assist or not, people should be using their turn signals anyway.

Figured what out? That if you engage your turn signal it won’t try to keep you from changing lanes? The system also fairly quickly accelerates once you are clear in the lane, assuming your speed is lower than set. Works pretty well, in my opinion.

At first I was uncertain about the LTA and other assist features, but if you approach not as a self-driving car but a backup for situations that where you have let your guard down, then I think all of it is great. Really amazing actually.
My thoughts go to tragic situations where people fall asleep at the wheel. I seriously wonder if this would have saved lives in those situations? Vehicle would both pull you back into the lane as well as ring some alarm if your eyes shut for a couple of seconds.

Back