Non-Turbo Land Cruiser

Marinna

📛 Founding Member
Jun 18, 2024
Media
California
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser

If you really hate that hybrid power chain that much, you can wait for 6th gen 4-Runner, and likely without the battery you will have the car cheaper and more space as well (hopefully it comes with Turbo V6). Also when I saw the TRD Pro build I am not sure what is the point to buy a LC anymore.

The only powertrain available is a turbo 4cyl hybrid. I agree that you cannot get a non-hybrid if that’s what you mean.

But you aren’t getting a v6 4Runner option.
I couldn’t find more information. But turbo v6 should be a natural choice for 4Runner given Lexus GX 550 is using that power train. So I would imagine even for non-hybrid LC it is on the same power train as GX550

I couldn’t find more information. But turbo v6 should be a natural choice for 4Runner given Lexus GX 550 is using that power train. So I would imagine even for non-hybrid LC it is on the same power train as GX550

There is no mystery here. The new 4Runners are only available with 4cyl turbos. Some trims will have hybrids, some won't. Exact same as the new Tacomas. The non-hybrid lower end models need to fit in a lower price range to continue to be a large volume seller.

If you want a bigger engine, you'll need to pony up for a GX, LX, Sequoia, or Tundra.

Last edited:
turbo v6 should be a natural choice for 4Runner given Lexus GX 550 is using that power train.
I’m not seeing how that would be a natural choice. It would create weird overlap with the Land Cruiser and the GX for that matter. And, as above, the 4Runner will borrow very heavily from the Tacoma including powertrain options.

There is no mystery here. The new 4Runners are only available with 4cyl turbos. Some trims will have hybrids, some won't. Exact same as the new Tacomas. The non-hybrid lower end models need to fit in a lower price range to continue to be a large volume seller.

If you want a bigger engine, you'll need to pony up for a GX, LX, Sequoia, or Tundra.
And TRD offroad will certainly be turbo hybrid since that is the most powerful configuration for this built.

GX550 will probably get a hybrid option as well.

From the press release for 4 Runner
4T standard. 4T hybrid options depending on trim level.
1726167223165.png

I’m not seeing how that would be a natural choice. It would create weird overlap with the Land Cruiser and the GX for that matter. And, as above, the 4Runner will borrow very heavily from the Tacoma including powertrain options.
The known power train for this Toyota platform is V4 hybrid, V6, and diesel. If you want to cost down for 4Runner I am not seeing the reason to create a 4Runner specific power train. It will only make the car more expensive to make. So if 4Runner wants to provide a non-hybrid option, turbo V6 is a no-brained.

If you really hate that hybrid power chain that much, you can wait for 6th gen 4-Runner, and likely without the battery you will have the car cheaper and more space as well (hopefully it comes with Turbo V6). Also when I saw the TRD Pro build I am not sure what is the point to buy a LC anymore.

The known power train for this Toyota platform is V4 hybrid, V6, and diesel. If you want to cost down for 4Runner I am not seeing the reason to create a 4Runner specific power train. It will only make the car more expensive to make. So if 4Runner wants to provide a non-hybrid option, turbo V6 is a no-brained.
The 4Runner already offers a non-hybrid option, a turbo 4cyl, same as the Tacoma.

There already is a non-hybrid 4cylinder (inline 4, not v4) turbo, which will be used for 4Runner. They already listed which trim is coming with which engine, lower trims will come with the turbo I4, higher trims will come with turbo hybrid I4.

PS - try to seat anyone but a 6 year old in the backseat of the new 4runner and let us know how that ‘more room’ works out

Same size as the LC with a few inches less head height
interesting, the comparos i’ve seen show something different. I’ve also had a new taco as a loaner and nobody fits back there. Can’t imagine the 4runner (a taco without the bed) goes from unusable in the taco to something as roomy as the LC. Guess we’ll see

And TRD offroad will certainly be turbo hybrid since that is the most powerful configuration for this built.

GX550 will probably get a hybrid option as well.
I was on the list for a 25 TRD Pro and it is the same powertrain as in the LC. I decided to move to the LC based on a few features the 4runner will lack. I was quite impressed with the Hybrid turbo 4 on my test drive. Couple that with Toyota's experience with Hybrids, I think it's a pretty safe bet.

interesting, the comparos i’ve seen show something different. I’ve also had a new taco as a loaner and nobody fits back there. Can’t imagine the 4runner (a taco without the bed) goes from unusable in the taco to something as roomy as the LC. Guess we’ll see
You can see Doug DeMuro sit in both. He's 6'3". The LC and the upcoming 4runner are the same base vehicle. The LC's body is slightly taller and slightly shorter.

The reason to go 4runner over LC is to avoid the hybrid with a low trim model or a preference for that lines style and features. It's likely that the 4runner higher trims will align with the LC at the $55K to $65K price points.

Both my partner (6'2") and I (5'9") sat in the back of a 24 Taco OR. It has room, it's not a roomy as my outback nor the LC, but there's room. I moved away from it because I don't want my 80 yr old Mom trying to climb into it and sit back there on a road trip.

The 4R is supposed to be closer to the LC for interior room, and from the videos I've seen. Looks roomier than the Taco. Funny thing about those videos lately, it all depends on what the actor or cameraman is trying to portray.

Back