Noise When Changing Gear Shift Lever

shots

📛 Founding Member
May 31, 2024
Media
Texas
Vehicles
Land Cruiser
Hi, can somebody tell me what this noise is when I move the rear shift from either Park --> Drive or Drive --> Park? I'm guessing it's supposed to be happening, but not not sure what the noise actually is. The noise lasts less than 1 sec and kind of sounds like a screw winding up or down. It's subtle with the windows closed, but seems loudest around the rear wheels if you stand outside while performing the shift. Anybody know what this is?

Hi, can somebody tell me what this noise is when I move the rear shift from either Park --> Drive or Drive --> Park? I'm guessing it's supposed to be happening, but not not sure what the noise actually is. The noise lasts less than 1 sec and kind of sounds like a screw winding up or down. It's subtle with the windows closed, but seems loudest around the rear wheels if you stand outside while performing the shift. Anybody know what this is?
Maybe the emergency brake?

I don't have a sound but my shifter feels like it's sticking during the first shift to reverse of the day. When I go from park to reverse, it clunks. Sometimes, I feel like I'm going to break something by trying to give it a little force. I'm wondering if I should take it to Toyota to have them check it out. Does anybody else have this issue?

I think the sound you are hearing is the parking brake releasing from rear wheels.

Back