My favorite Key trick

PixelMagic

📛 Founding Member
Apr 9, 2024
Pasadena, California
Vehicles
Land Cruiser First Edition
Credit to wedemmoez for pointing out that the engine can be remote started from the key fob by pushing the lock button three times and holding the lock button on the third time. This starts the engine with the AC (or heater) on at the last setting. Wow! This is fantastic for cooling down or warming up the LC before having to get in it. The Toyota app allows the same with remote connect, but the key fob trick is much easier.

Its much more reliable in the app, and it allows you to set climate control in the app.

Using the keyfob will just set your climate to "AUTO" but its kind of a dumb auto so it won't really cool the car.

Key fob will be limited in distance also whereas the app will work as long as you have service. The one thing I don’t like about my 4Runner is that the wiper/mirror defrost automatically turns off when you turn off the engine. So remote starting won’t have it on, although I try to remember to keep the defrost on the heater in the winter .

Key fob will be limited in distance also whereas the app will work as long as you have service. The one thing I don’t like about my 4Runner is that the wiper/mirror defrost automatically turns off when you turn off the engine. So remote starting won’t have it on, although I try to remember to keep the defrost on the heater in the winter .
Cool part with the app is that you can have it turn on front and rear defrost every time you start the car through the app.

** on the LC. There's only a few vehicles that support climate control in app at the moment

I use the app all the time , but key fob is a pain by the time I get it right I have walked to the truck

Credit to wedemmoez for pointing out that the engine can be remote started from the key fob by pushing the lock button three times and holding the lock button on the third time. This starts the engine with the AC (or heater) on at the last setting. Wow! This is fantastic for cooling down or warming up the LC before having to get in it. The Toyota app allows the same with remote connect, but the key fob trick is much easier.
Thanks for reminding us of the process. I knew it was there I just couldn't remember it. This is also good for people who don't want to use the app. Too much personal info flowing these days.

I set up the command with Siri in the app , tried hey siri start Land Cruiser , both in and out of app nothing. It would pull up web pages about starting land cruiser

I set up the command with Siri in the app , tried hey siri start Land Cruiser , both in and out of app nothing. It would pull up web pages about starting land cruiser
Not sure why it's not working for you. 😞

I read elsewhere that you should capitalize the first letter of the recorded command in the app, but 3 of the 4 commands I recorded do not start with a capitalization and all the commands work for me. ? Try re-recording the commands?
Keep command short and simple: "Start Nellie", "Stop Nellie", "Lock Nellie", "Unlock Nellie". It could be that if you use your car's nickname instead of the phrase "Land Cruiser" it won't confuse Siri with doing an internet search for generic Land Cruiser problems.

Also, make sure that you are logged into the app and it is open. My app sometimes logs out despite checking the "keep logged in" button.

The voice command is “start your car”. It doesn’t recognize Land Cruiser specifically.

tried using start truck and it say need to download and digital key . Which I did no lick

I have a digital key and have app downloaded signed in and out

Back