Mark ups

The BaT auction ended at $10K over and the FE on eBay is already at ~$5K over. Outside of some variance in regional demand (which would be considered an exception and not the rule) I think itโ€™s wishful thinking to believe sub-MSRP pricing will be widespread anytime soon.

BaT was $5K over 78. eBay is currently less than that at $81k.

The fact that real-world auctions barely yield $5K when dealers think it's worth 10-20K shows me that it's already missing demand expectations out of the gate

BaT was $5K over 78. eBay is currently less than that at $81k.

The fact that real-world auctions barely yield $5K when dealers think it's worth 10-20K shows me that it's already missing demand expectations out of the gate
Might want to check and see who pays the BaT fees. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I think the combo of
  1. No 3rd row - eliminates it as a large family hauler
  2. Powertrain - a turnoff to Landcruiser purists to have a 4cyl hybrid
  3. GX550 cannibalistic competition: Luxury plus simple powertrain and a KDSS option to fix some handling issues
  4. Interest rates/economy/price point
All will work against the 2024 Landcruiser and bring prices down sooner rather than later
100%. Shocking to me how dealers don't get this. Buyers have the upper hand.

I was getting impatient and was checking out the GX. Contacted a few dealers and found one near Los Angeles getting a luxury trim on a few days. Guy said I could put down a $2k refundable deposit for it.

Asked him how much he was marking up and he said $5k but it was for accessories that I could choose (aka $3k roof rails, etc.). I said okay - I had been considering the car heavily in recent days and wanted to drive one to see if paying up $15k ($10k msrp plus $5k adm) was worth getting a slightly nicer interior, better sound system, massage seats, rear captain seats & 3rd row option, moonroof, more cargo space and worse gas mileage (my gut says itโ€™s nots, but hard to know without actually checking it in person).

I asked for paperwork and when he sent it they marked it up $10kโ€ฆ I wonโ€™t be responding.

100%. Shocking to me how dealers don't get this. Buyers have the upper hand.
Sure. Show this list to your local dealer, and demand $5K off their next incoming LC. Let us know how that goes.

Sure. Show this list to your local dealer, and demand $5K off their next incoming LC. Let us know how that goes.

If you like paying dealers more... then just pay them what they want, be happy, and move on. No need to argue with people who won't. Strange hill to die on

If you like paying dealers more... then just pay them what they want, be happy, and move on. No need to argue with people who won't. Strange hill to die on
No one wants to pay more, but just declaring the Land Cruiser sucks on a web forum isnโ€™t going to change prices.

Itโ€™s not hard to see itโ€™s a desirable car.

I think the pricing is going to be around list by the fall. Shipments will pick up and the new 4Runner will be out shortly. I think we saw the FE prices come down when it looked like LC trim was shipping. Demand is there for sure, but supply is coming.

Agreed.

Honestly, if youโ€™re looking to join the LC party now the mark ups really have no impact on you.

Had these few dealers been selling for MSRP the whole time those allocations would have been gone a long time ago.

Either way, unless you had a deposit in months ago you are probably waiting awhile to get one at MSRP.

A dealer called me to see if I was still interested in an FE. They wanted $93K for their first FE, which I passed on, but he said the prices were coming down, and they are ONLY asking for a $5k premium now. I kindly declined and told him I was only interested in MSRP.

declaring the Land Cruiser sucks on a web forum isnโ€™t going to change prices.

Itโ€™s not hard to see itโ€™s a desirable car.

Strawman argument. I never said it sucks. Why would I be shopping for one then?

My asserted belief, however, was that the asking prices were too high due to temporary supply conditions and would be coming down for the patient. So far, that's 100% correct.

There is a huge diversity between individuals likes and dislikes........ as an example I don't like the front grill area on the 4 runner or the Lexus, I like the LC much better. I don't like the stigma of Lexus, I don't like the electronics in the Lexus. I have a very capable hardcore 4X4 so the 4x4 do-dads were not as important as MPG. I have a very nicely decked out Tacoma as my daily driver. I wanted a capable traveling SUV, so I decided on the LC LE and I paid a healthy dealer markup....... why you might ask..... because that's what I wanted.

I took home a 1958 yesterday! A bit of a surprise - I am on 5 wait lists (4 with deposits) and was expecting several more months of waiting. Here's the story ...

I do check SmartPath every couple of days and found maybe 5 in the SF bay area this week in stock and not reserved. A few (like Toyota Marin) were not budging on mark ups, but one dealer I contacted told me last Monday that they could sell with a $3k markup. I didn't respond and then 4 hours later they said they could do MSRP if I picked it up that day. I sat on it for a couple days as their 1958 had about $3500 in port installed options which I wasn't thrilled about. However, I was prepared to go check out their 1958 yesterday when I noticed Hayward Toyota had a 1958 in stock. I called and they gave the usual speech about a $3k-$4k markup and I told them I was going to the other dealer to buy at MSRP. Their manager jumped on the call and said they could do MSRP but with a $1k PPF add on. So I went in, test drove and offered $500 for the PPF or I was walking. Sold! Total price before fees/taxes was $58,575. Only options were the $500 for PPF (which I actually kind of like - would have applied PPF to at least the front hood myself), $485 for connected services extension (worthless), $155 for door edge guards (Meh - I don't mind, good color match) and $90 for the wheel locks.

If you are shopping, I suggest that you check Smartpath constantly and chat up the dealers via the phone or live. If you are ready to buy, you might be surprised how quickly they drop the markups.

Attachments

• IMG_8261.jpg
    IMG_8261.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Man that's good to hear! Looks like you were able to find what you wanted and able to take advantage of being savvy!

I took home a 1958 yesterday! A bit of a surprise - I am on 5 wait lists (4 with deposits) and was expecting several more months of waiting. Here's the story ...

I do check SmartPath every couple of days and found maybe 5 in the SF bay area this week in stock and not reserved. A few (like Toyota Marin) were not budging on mark ups, but one dealer I contacted told me last Monday that they could sell with a $3k markup. I didn't respond and then 4 hours later they said they could do MSRP if I picked it up that day. I sat on it for a couple days as their 1958 had about $3500 in port installed options which I wasn't thrilled about. However, I was prepared to go check out their 1958 yesterday when I noticed Hayward Toyota had a 1958 in stock. I called and they gave the usual speech about $3k-$4k markup and I told them I was going to the other dealer to buy at MSRP. Their manager jumped on the call and said they could do MSRP but with a $1k PPF add on. So I went in, test drove and offered $500 for the PPF or I was walking. Sold! Total price before fees/taxes was $58,575. Only options were the $500 for PPF (which I actually kind of like - would have applied PPF to at least the front hood myself), $485 for connected services extension (worthless), $155 for door edge guards (Meh - I don't mind, good color match) and $90 for the wheel locks.

If you are shopping, I suggest that you check Smartpath constantly and chat up the dealers via the phone or live. If you are ready to buy, you might be surprised how quickly they drop the markups.
Great story and info.

Back