LC J250 Idling

Marinna

📛 Founding Member
Jun 18, 2024
Media
California
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
Does anybody know that if I have the LC parked but not having the engine off, how often will the engine actually turned on and off? (assuming all the accessories is off)

The engine will run to charge the hybrid battery. If all parameters are met the engine should turn off.

I am not asking how hybrid works. I am asking how well it works when idling.
I mean the engine only idles if parameters aren’t met. This is what I was trying to say. Mine always turns engine off when idling if parameters are met.

To answer your question, It reacts the same as driving down the road. AC blows Ice cold, nav, radio still has 100% functionality. Mine has approx 15 min idling, 15 min electric, until you shut it off or drive etc.....

I mean the engine only idles if parameters aren’t met. This is what I was trying to say. Mine always turns engine off when idling if parameters are met.
Thank you. I think I understand how it works pretty well owning a Prius myself for more than 10 years.
To answer your question, It reacts the same as driving down the road. AC blows Ice cold, nav, radio still has 100% functionality. Mine has approx 15 min idling, 15 min electric, until you shut it off or drive etc.....
i was thinking to keep the power on for car camping. Trying to figure out if I switch off everything except some low power electronics like coolers or small fans, how much fuel or engine time will I consume.

Thank you. I think I understand how it works pretty well owning a Prius myself for more than 10 years.

i was thinking to keep the power on for car camping. Trying to figure out if I switch off everything except some low power electronics like coolers or small fans, how much fuel or engine time will I consume.
I'm really not sure, but it makes sense to me if everything was shut off except the inverter, it would have a pretty good electric only run time. I think I am going with a power station like ecoflow I watched a video where the guy stated with the Ecoflow Delta 2 Max and the extra battery, he was able to run his fridge for a week before they needed recharging.

The car will stay on for I think an hour by default. You can however turn off the automatic shut off button and it will stay on for as long as you like. It also has a 12v plug on the back so you can hook up something there when camping.

I'm really not sure, but it makes sense to me if everything was shut off except the inverter, it would have a pretty good electric only run time. I think I am going with a power station like ecoflow I watched a video where the guy stated with the Ecoflow Delta 2 Max and the extra battery, he was able to run his fridge for a week before they needed recharging.
J250 is too small for that kind of setup. I was thinking
The car will stay on for I think an hour by default. You can however turn off the automatic shut off button and it will stay on for as long as you like. It also has a 12v plug on the back so you can hook up something there when camping.
i would be surprised if Toyota allows you to keep the traction battery on for as long as you want. Once the hybrid battery is completely drained you can’t start your engine and it is usually not an easy repair by the owner

J250 is too small for that kind of setup. I was thinking

i would be surprised if Toyota allows you to keep the traction battery on for as long as you want. Once the hybrid battery is completely drained you can’t start your engine and it is usually not an easy repair by the owner
You can start the engine if there is a malfunction with the Traction battery/system. It has a 12v starter just like most non-hybrid cars, as a backup.

I used to do this all the time in my 4runner, but for the LC, I left it on all day but haven't camped in it yet.

The LC was idling about 6 hrs and the gas tank bars barely registered it. For comparison, my 4runner uses about 1/8 of a tank every 12 hrs of idle and I usually bring extra fuel based on that. This LC is tremendously efficient and I don't think extra fuel is needed for my scenario

And for the 4runner, for that idle duration I'm playing music, running the fridge and at night have camp lights on. If a fish is landed, full lights go on, which was 6 of those Baja squadron sports and 4 Baja S2s. Normal camp lights are just 4 rock lights under the truck. All thru a 2nd house battery.

I need to figure out how to tap into the hybrid battery this time around...

I used to do this all the time in my 4runner, but for the LC, I left it on all day but haven't camped in it yet.

The LC was idling about 6 hrs and the gas tank bars barely registered it. For comparison, my 4runner uses about 1/8 of a tank every 12 hrs of idle and I usually bring extra fuel based on that. This LC is tremendously efficient and I don't think extra fuel is needed for my scenario

And for the 4runner, for that idle duration I'm playing music, running the fridge and at night have camp lights on. If a fish is landed, full lights go on, which was 6 of those Baja squadron sports and 4 Baja S2s. Normal camp lights are just 4 rock lights under the truck. All thru a 2nd house battery.

I need to figure out how to tap into the hybrid battery this time around...
I would think the hybrid system is a well protected closed system. Toyota probably will not allow you to to into it, this is a key component for the power train, unlike the 12V battery

I would think the hybrid system is a well protected closed system. Toyota probably will not allow you to to into it, this is a key component for the power train, unlike the 12V battery
Nah, they've got a handy 2400 watt outlet right there. Just need to either trace that back to the inverter or just tap into the wire. If it's running that much wattage, it's gonna be a thick gauge. It's a wintertime project, too hot for stuff like that right now...

Nah, they've got a handy 2400 watt outlet right there. Just need to either trace that back to the inverter or just tap into the wire. If it's running that much wattage, it's gonna be a thick gauge. It's a wintertime project, too hot for stuff like that right now...
Personally I wouldn’t modify the powertrain and that is “high voltage” battery. I’d say the risk outweighs the benefits

Back