Land Cruisers are easily stolen.

Our LC is my wife’s daily driver, and I drive it very little.

Would you care to elaborate on the last sentence of your post?
Toyota’s app has a digital key feature, allowing you to use your phone as a key, just like the key fob with proximity functionality. The only thing I don’t like is that there is no way to power open the liftgate; it can only unlock it. ALSO THE APP IS SLIGHTLY BUGGY AND HAS IMPROVED SINCE LAST UPDATE.

This company makes kill switches for other toyota models, but no other 2024's listed yet.

I tried a few things for blocking the radio signal between my key fob and my vehicle.

What worked: single layer aluminum foil wrap and an RFID blocking pouch off amazon. The aluminum foil turns out to be better than the pouch which is too tight, bulky, and inconvenient.

What did not work: an EZPASS RFID blocking bag. That surprised me.

I tried a few things for blocking the radio signal between my key fob and my vehicle.

What worked: single layer aluminum foil wrap and an RFID blocking pouch off amazon. The aluminum foil turns out to be better than the pouch which is too tight, bulky, and inconvenient.

I guess nobody saw this but you can just do this Key Signal Theft Deterrent. Toyota built in a feature exactly for that into the remote

Or you could just put the fob to sleep........... Press on hold the lock button, while holding the lock button down, press the unlock button twice. The Led should blink 4 times.

Pressing any button on the fob wakes it up.....ie "unlock"

With the help of @EOD Guy I was able to figure out how they disabled the GPS, mic, and cellular radios. For all curious it is a black box under the center console that has 2 wiring harnesses going to it and a grey cable that appears to be hard wired in (verifying that when I have more time). They disconnected the two wire harnesses and cut the grey cable. I have reattached the two and have my mic back and SOS calling, but nothing else.

I will update when I know more.

Thank you EOD!

With the help of @EOD Guy I was able to figure out how they disabled the GPS, mic, and cellular radios. For all curious it is a black box under the center console that has 2 wiring harnesses going to it and a grey cable that appears to be hard wired in (verifying that when I have more time). They disconnected the two wire harnesses and cut the grey cable. I have reattached the two and have my mic back and SOS calling, but nothing else.

Thank you EOD!
Did they damage anything in the process (aside from window and grey cable)?

It's very easy to tow a vehicle with the right equipment. But there is risk for a thief to drive around in that equipment, especially at night.

The key to all types of burglary is deterrence. A rational thief wants the easiest and lowest risk target. The best deterence for a sophisticated vehicle thief is likely concern about a tracker that he is not confident can be easily found and disabled.

So an airtag tossed into a void that is not easily accessed may be a good, inexpensive choice. If it can't be retrieved it would need to be replaced periodically. I think an airtag dropped into the battery compartment void would be hard to find and retrieve.

One reason I chose the diskloc was to differentiate my LC from other desirable vehicles sitting out in the hotel lot. If I have a diskloc, what other measures might I have taken?

The highest deterrence factor from a home alarm system is the stickers. So what is the sticker equivalent for an LC?

I may clip a small wireless security camera, with an antenna, to the top of my diskloc pointing out the driver's window. A smart person would correctly conclude that the camera is likely either ineffective or a fake. A smart person would also play the odds and move onto the 99% of high end Toyotas without any obvious extra anti-theft devices.

OPs vehicle was chosen among several alternatives. A burglarized house was chosen from several alternatives.
Air tags are a good option however they can be detected and disabled with many free apps on the app store...

I regularly scan my vehicle and use the scanner for work as well

I agree an air tag won't prevent a vehicle from being stolen. It will however assist in tracking the tag as long as the tag in the vicinity of an I-phone. If it was taken to a chop shop, the tags location can be tracked, same with taken to a container......"last seen in the vicinity of" will come up on the I-phone tracker.
Android phones can also detect Apple tags with a free app from the Google Play store.

I use it all the time

I have been doing this every night since reading about Bgeorgers unfortunate situation. I am not sure if this really prevents theft but its so easy I just do it.
The only way in, is to clone your signal or break a window. If they clone your key....... it's gone within seconds. If they break a window, they have to the "add a key" which can take 10-30 minutes depending on their software and can only be done via the OBDii port. If that port is non-functional.......... they'll probably move on.

There is another way to steal your vehicle, but I won't discuss that process on this forum.

Thank you EOD!
You're welcome.

Back