Land Cruisers are easily stolen.

That really sucks and I feel bad for you. As other suggested, it could've been a tow truck, but it didn't have to be a flatbed.
Another possibility is they copied your key fob signal and then made their own.
I just bought Faraday pouches from Amazon, but those are a little tight to slide the fob in and out of so maybe I'll get a little Faraday box and keep mine in.
I understand they can drive by your house and pick up that signal. Or perhaps they were right there sitting in a vehicle and copied it. Who knows.
Years ago I saw a video on car theft and they showed how some of these guys carried hacksaw's with them and cut those steering locks off. Nowadays they have the battery powered saws and grinders that will cut hard steel locks off and such.
That Disklok Don mentioned looks like a pretty good idea. If I regularly went into the city I suppose I would get one of those.
I hope you get your vehicle back with no damage done to it. If not, I hope the insurance company doesn't screw you over like State Farm did me on my totaled out Tacoma. Good luck.

Yeah, unfortunately this truck is already on a container headed for Africa, Saudi Arabia or Asia. Never to be seen again.

They finally busted a ring of thieves that were stealing F150s out of the DIA parking lot for several years. My buddy has one and got approached and questioned by an officer as he was parking. Once the LEO surmised he was in fact the owner, he told them not to park his truck at the airport anymore or take a different vehicle/uber. He also told him the process by which they were stealing them. I don't remember the specifics, but if you installed an OBD lock... or moved the actual OBD to a hidden in the dash location and installed a dummy port, this would have gone a long way in preventing the theft. I think they had a means to get the door open electronically, but needed to fabricate a cloned key to the vehicle using the OBD port. Once they've done that.. turn off all tracking and un-link the apps/service and drive off.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully insurance resolves the issue swiftly.

Any car is easily stolen.

I blame Hollywood for Romanticizing “hot wiring” as the predominant method to steal a vehicle.

The easiest and fastest is to just tow it away. Renders alarms, kill switch, LoJack, those stupid steering wheel locks, etc useless
It's very easy to tow a vehicle with the right equipment. But there is risk for a thief to drive around in that equipment, especially at night.

The key to all types of burglary is deterrence. A rational thief wants the easiest and lowest risk target. The best deterence for a sophisticated vehicle thief is likely concern about a tracker that he is not confident can be easily found and disabled.

So an airtag tossed into a void that is not easily accessed may be a good, inexpensive choice. If it can't be retrieved it would need to be replaced periodically. I think an airtag dropped into the battery compartment void would be hard to find and retrieve.

One reason I chose the diskloc was to differentiate my LC from other desirable vehicles sitting out in the hotel lot. If I have a diskloc, what other measures might I have taken?

The highest deterrence factor from a home alarm system is the stickers. So what is the sticker equivalent for an LC?

I may clip a small wireless security camera, with an antenna, to the top of my diskloc pointing out the driver's window. A smart person would correctly conclude that the camera is likely either ineffective or a fake. A smart person would also play the odds and move onto the 99% of high end Toyotas without any obvious extra anti-theft devices.

OPs vehicle was chosen among several alternatives. A burglarized house was chosen from several alternatives.

Here is all that is left of my baby. Keys were with me. Gone in a matter of seconds and Toyota cannot locate the vehicle. Be careful out there.

Stolen from the Hyatt Place in Mississauga, ON.
Bummer, man, sorry to hear. Out of curiosity, did you have the digital key set up?

It's very easy to tow a vehicle with the right equipment. But there is risk for a thief to drive around in that equipment, especially at night.

The key to all types of burglary is deterrence. A rational thief wants the easiest and lowest risk target. The best deterence for a sophisticated vehicle thief is likely concern about a tracker that he is not confident can be easily found and disabled.

So an airtag tossed into a void that is not easily accessed may be a good, inexpensive choice. If it can't be retrieved it would need to be replaced periodically. I think an airtag dropped into the battery compartment void would be hard to find and retrieve.

One reason I chose the diskloc was to differentiate my LC from other desirable vehicles sitting out in the hotel lot. If I have a diskloc, what other measures might I have taken?

The highest deterrence factor from a home alarm system is the stickers. So what is the sticker equivalent for an LC?

I may clip a small wireless security camera, with an antenna, to the top of my diskloc pointing out the driver's window. A smart person would correctly conclude that the camera is likely either ineffective or a fake. A smart person would also play the odds and move onto the 99% of high end Toyotas without any obvious extra anti-theft devices.

OPs vehicle was chosen among several alternatives. A burglarized house was chosen from several alternatives.
I saw on Facebook there is also a case almost identical to OP’s story. An American visitor driving his shining beloved GX550 and park in a hotel at Mississauga ON and the car is just gone overnight. Really feel sorry for you.

A part of it is a Canadian issue. The car theft is so bad that even a sheriff couldn’t keep his car from the theft’s hands - for multiple times. Their government even told their citizen to surrender the car to the criminals and don’t resist in exchange of personal safety.

My understanding is that once they have their hands in your vehicle nothing will do you any protection. You can track your AirTag all the way from a train freight to the harbor to Atlantic Ocean to the other dealer thousands of miles away in a different continent and Canadian government doesn’t care. They only care about protocols rather than preventing crimes. (There is definitely orders, but no laws) I would only hope that our government will never fall to the low of the Canadian government.

Last edited:
A part of it is a Canadian issue. The car theft is so bad that even a sheriff couldn’t keep his car from the theft’s hands - for multiple times. Their government even told their citizen to surrender the car to the criminals and don’t resist in exchange of personal safety.

My understanding is that once they have their hands in your vehicle nothing will do you any protection. You can track your AirTag all the way from a train freight to the harbor to Atlantic Ocean to the other dealer thousands of miles away in a different continent and Canadian government doesn’t care. They only care about protocols rather than preventing crimes. (There is definitely orders, but no laws) I would only hope that our government will never fall to the low of the Canadian government.
No laws? You have really got no clue! There are certainly car theft hot spots in Canada and it is a very real problem. I'm sure that is true in many countries around the globe as well.

No laws? You have really got no clue! There are certainly car theft hot spots in Canada and it is a very real problem. I'm sure that is true in many countries around the globe as well.
No enforcement is as good as no laws. There is indeed many places in the world like that. Shoplifting in San Francisco and Car theft in Ontario Canada are among the worst of them. If I live in Ontario I would probably never own a nice car to start with. The enforcement seems to be a big joke there. They want to frame the crime as a victimless crime since you can claim from the insurance. But that logic is pretty pathetic if you ask me

Back