Land Cruisers are easily stolen.

That really sucks and I feel bad for you. As other suggested, it could've been a tow truck, but it didn't have to be a flatbed.
Another possibility is they copied your key fob signal and then made their own.
I just bought Faraday pouches from Amazon, but those are a little tight to slide the fob in and out of so maybe I'll get a little Faraday box and keep mine in.
I understand they can drive by your house and pick up that signal. Or perhaps they were right there sitting in a vehicle and copied it. Who knows.
Years ago I saw a video on car theft and they showed how some of these guys carried hacksaw's with them and cut those steering locks off. Nowadays they have the battery powered saws and grinders that will cut hard steel locks off and such.
That Disklok Don mentioned looks like a pretty good idea. If I regularly went into the city I suppose I would get one of those.
I hope you get your vehicle back with no damage done to it. If not, I hope the insurance company doesn't screw you over like State Farm did me on my totaled out Tacoma. Good luck.

Yeah, unfortunately this truck is already on a container headed for Africa, Saudi Arabia or Asia. Never to be seen again.

They finally busted a ring of thieves that were stealing F150s out of the DIA parking lot for several years. My buddy has one and got approached and questioned by an officer as he was parking. Once the LEO surmised he was in fact the owner, he told them not to park his truck at the airport anymore or take a different vehicle/uber. He also told him the process by which they were stealing them. I don't remember the specifics, but if you installed an OBD lock... or moved the actual OBD to a hidden in the dash location and installed a dummy port, this would have gone a long way in preventing the theft. I think they had a means to get the door open electronically, but needed to fabricate a cloned key to the vehicle using the OBD port. Once they've done that.. turn off all tracking and un-link the apps/service and drive off.

Back