It all boils down to range anxiety.

I had a 2020 Tundra with at 38 gallon tank. If I filled up with 50 miles to empty, I could barely get 30 gallons in the tank. It was very frustrating coming from Fords with 36 gallon tanks that seemed to show real fuel range left. I’ve heard it is because Toyota doesn’t want your fuel level to get so low that your tank doesn’t have enough fuel to properly cool the fuel pump. This is just a theory I read.

While I agree the gauge should read accurately, I can't understand why people would be upset, when the gage says you're out of gas but you're not really........... Cause for me, when that happens, I start looking in earnest for the next gas station!

You guys are funny with all this 'Range Anxiety' talk. My old 2013 Nissan Leaf is like... 'Hold my beer...'

75ish miles on a good day, 30 if you were lucky while running the heat full blast during a snow storm. Apples to oranges I know, but had a few close call out there!

I just renewed AAA membership
Toyota will send gas as part of the roadside assistance that you purchased with the vehicle. Press the red overhead button under the clear shield.

My refill with 1 mile remaining was 15.5 gallons.

Interesting to hear people getting different amounts left in the tank at empty. I ran mine down to zero. It doesn't actually display zero, it displays the word 'refuel". I had about a gallon left in reserve, definitely not two.

I put gas in it when it needs it, usually down around 30 miles to go. Outside of that, I don't really care. I fill up and it says how far I can go if I maintain consistent MPG, which usually is around 300 miles. Seems pretty straightforward.
It is pretty straightforward on pavement and in 95% of the US. But, we travel in situations in which we calculate our fuel range very carefully and usually have to carry a spare gallon or two. So, an accurate readout of fuel remaining is very important

It is pretty straightforward on pavement and in 95% of the US. But, we travel in situations in which we calculate our fuel range very carefully and usually have to carry a spare gallon or two. So, an accurate readout of fuel remaining is very important
My counterpoint to that would be that if you're stuck because of a few gallons of gas, you're doing it wrong.

Back