It all boils down to range anxiety.

winnrider

📛 Founding Member
Sep 24, 2024
Media
Louisiana, USA
Vehicles
white LC J250
There are multiple threads on MPG numbers, regular vs. premium gas, mods for gas tanks. After driving to near empty to remove the wrong grade gas (don't send your teenager to the gas station) I observed that the fuel level display seems designed to create range anxiety. Even with 1/4 tank showing, to me it looks like I'm about to run dry. I may have turned it off, but also did not get any low-fuel warning even down to 30 miles left (when I gave in and filled up). To me, the fuel display is not as effective as it should be, especially in a vehicle designed for driving in places where no help is coming if you run out of gas.

I'm sure I will get used to it, but would like to have a display that doesn't cause me to worry about remaining fuel.

The difference is the range is calculated not including the "reserve tank". Most cars (all but this LC) calculate range with the total of the tank.
In theory we cold run past the "0 miles" for another 20-40 miles as we always have another 2 gallons left at that point.

The difference is the range is calculated not including the "reserve tank". Most cars (all but this LC) calculate range with the total of the tank.
In theory we cold run past the "0 miles" for another 20-40 miles as we always have another 2 gallons left at that point.
Thanks for this. Makes sense. But it will take some getting used to. Hard for me to drive around with 5-10 miles showing even with the reserve available. But that’s not a problem for my kids , apparently, as their trucks are forever on empty.

There are around 2 gallons left once you get to zero. I filled up yesterday when it said there were 30 miles left. It took 14.3 gallons to fill up so there were 3.6 gallons left (tank is 17.9 gallons). While the vehicle said there were 30 miles left, it was closer to 75 miles left to true empty.

There are around 2 gallons left once you get to zero. I filled up yesterday when it said there were 30 miles left. It took 14.3 gallons to fill up so there were 3.6 gallons left (tank is 17.9 gallons). While the vehicle said there were 30 miles left, it was closer to 75 miles left to true empty.
Yesterday I filled up when there was 9 miles remaining according to my gauge. The pump put in 17.8 gallons. Either the pump is improperly calibrated or I don't have any reserve gallons beyond what is displayed in miles of remaining gas.

Yes I have almost 4k miles on mine now and multiple car long distance trips. No warning until maybe 15 miles left. Range anxiety is always a concern. My distance at fuel fillup usually says 275 mile range. Premium fuel in eco mode. I tend to fill up around 50 miles left.

It's amazing, While there is contradictory opinions about this, Toyota doesn't mention any reserve tank or anything like that in their literature.

It sure would be helpful if they just gave us the actual numbers... Or if someone could post something from Toyota to substantiate the reserve tank claims...

It's amazing, While there is contradictory opinions about this, Toyota doesn't mention any reserve tank or anything like that in their literature.

It sure would be helpful if they just gave us the actual numbers... Or if someone could post something from Toyota to substantiate the reserve tank claims...
1728588698726.png

Maybe the warning light isn't working for everyone or it's not as obvious as it should be, don't know. I like to top off my tank between 1/4 and a half. Of the many automotive superstitions my old man tried to instilled in me I remember that running your tank to empty on a regular basis would purportedly shorten the lifespan of your fuel pump since the gas works as coolant. Probably just his way of telling me to fillerup before coming home...

I did that.. filled up the tank with 16.9 gallons, on my initial fill up.

Early on, I had about 300 mile range when i filled up. Now, I routinely have slightly over 350 range immediately after I fill up.

Last edited:
Of the many automotive superstitions my old man tried to instilled in me I remember that running your tank to empty on a regular basis would purportedly shorten the lifespan of your fuel pump since the gas works as coolant.
He wasn’t perpetuating a superstition….

I put gas in it when it needs it, usually down around 30 miles to go. Outside of that, I don't really care. I fill up and it says how far I can go if I maintain consistent MPG, which usually is around 300 miles. Seems pretty straightforward.

View attachment 14282
Maybe the warning light isn't working for everyone or it's not as obvious as it should be, don't know. I like to top off my tank between 1/4 and a half. Of the many automotive superstitions my old man tried to instilled in me I remember that running your tank to empty on a regular basis would purportedly shorten the lifespan of your fuel pump since the gas works as coolant. Probably just his way of telling me to fillerup before coming home...
This 100%. I was raised the same way. I tend to fill up my tank around 1/4 because of this training from eons ago. Honestly, I think it's probably a good habit that I don't need to break. :)

View attachment 14282
Thanks for this print.
Sounds exactly what I expected.
I have this light come up a couple times and was round 10 miles left in the range.
Just add 30 miles to the range every time you look at it and will be equivalent with all other cars.

Either way, if 2026+ year models come with a bigger tank I would trade in in a heartbeat.

Back