In or around Indiana and want a larger fuel tank?

LCOceans

đź“› Founding Member
Aug 10, 2024
Virginia
Vehicles
Land Cruiser First Edition, 4Runner TRD Pro, Lexus GX470
Ed Martin Toyota has produced some really good YouTube videos on the new Land Cruiser and some are certain modifications like leveling and lifting, and swapping out headlights from round to square, as well as other things Toyota. One was called - 35's on the 250 Land Cruiser.

I was on the phone today with Eric Sarjeant the GM, who also produces these videos about the small gas tank issue. He said if he could find someone to volunteer their vehicle and buy the Lexus GX fuel tank, he would make the swap and use it to produce a video about it. Says it would be a fun project to do. Still some specifics to work through he said, but they need a volunteer first before they can invest time to study it. He said the platform is so similar it should be doable.

If interested, I encourage you to reach out to Eric Sarjeant at (317)385-9572. Super nice guy and really well informed about the Land Cruiser. He told me on any given day there are about 20 land cruisers in the shop getting modifications done. Also, given that this is a Toyota dealership, I feel like they will want to maintain the ride and OEM feel on anything that is done there.

I will add he said you don't have to live in Noblesville IN to do this. He mentioned having a team that goes out into the state to work in other locations - something like this. Maybe they work with other Toyota dealerships. Not really sure what he meant but just call him to talk specifics.

Ed Martin Toyota has produced some really good YouTube videos on the new Land Cruiser and some are certain modifications like leveling and lifting, and swapping out headlights from round to square, as well as other things Toyota. One was called - 35's on the 250 Land Cruiser.

I was on the phone today with Eric Sarjeant the GM, who also produces these videos about the small gas tank issue. He said if he could find someone to volunteer their vehicle and buy the Lexus GX fuel tank, he would make the swap and use it to produce a video about it. Says it would be a fun project to do. Still some specifics to work through he said, but they need a volunteer first before they can invest time to study it. He said the platform is so similar it should be doable.

If interested, I encourage you to reach out to Eric Sarjeant at (317)385-9572. Super nice guy and really well informed about the Land Cruiser. He told me on any given day there are about 20 land cruisers in the shop getting modifications done. Also, given that this is a Toyota dealership, I feel like they will want to maintain the ride and OEM feel on anything that is done there.
The stupidly small OEM fuel tank is one of the biggest design flaws in the J250. It is a huge and unfortunate issue.

What is the size difference in the two tanks? If this is done by the dealership I assume that means it is covered by the warranty?

What is the size difference in the two tanks? If this is done by the dealership I assume that means it is covered by the warranty?
I am not sure of the difference in size but some forum members have discussed it so it is out there. As for warranty....good questions to ask, but I would be more comfortable with a dealer making these type of changes.

Ok so he is on here and told me to tag him but I don't know how to do that 🤔
Maybe he will see this and jump on, if not, I may contact him and get the technical help for a "tag".

Isn’t “tagging” just typing the each symbol, @, then start typing the screen name and selecting it from the pop up if the person has posted in the same thread. If the person hasn’t yet posted in the thread, just complete typing the screen name.

According to Google, the Lexus GX550 has a fuel capacity of 21.1 gallons, and our LCs have 17.9 gallons. So doing the swap will gain you and extra 3.2 gallons, or a hair under 18%, more fuel carrying capacity.

Depending on the cost of such a swap, it might make more sense to consider an external fuel container like the 3 gallon RotopaX, or other options to add even more capacity.

But I would still be interested in learning what it would cost for the swap and the warrantee implications. :)

I'd be surprised if the tank from the GX550 isn't the identical tank to the one we get with the 2.8 turbo diesel LC250s, because ours are 80 liter / 21.1gallon tanks. Seems guaranteed the GX550 tank could fit but something from the hybrid system must be taking up the space on US spec LC250s, unless Toyota could have but just chose not to spec it for some reason.

I'm curious as well. I'm under the impression that the tank is smaller because of the hybrid battery but could be wrong. Interested in seeing how this works and if it's more squeeze than juice financially.

I'm curious as well. I'm under the impression that the tank is smaller because of the hybrid battery but could be wrong. Interested in seeing how this works and if it's more squeeze than juice financially.
It will be more squeeze than juice. I’m assuming Toyota didn’t spec a smaller fuel tank for the LC just to piss us off. Something about the hybrid design must have affected space availability down there.

IMO, if it’s crucial to have a few more gallons of fuel availability, a side or rear storage solution for a can would be a lot easier.

But I would still be interested in learning what it would cost for the swap and the warrantee implications. :)
I wonder if they would even “go there” with this project if they didn’t at least check in with someone at Toyota. Maybe I’m naive. Probably.

Interestingly, when I was trying to decide between the LC and GX, I noticed that the GX community was not happy with the capacity of their fuel tank either. It is roughly 3 gallons bigger but they get substantially worse gas mileage and struggle to get a 300 mile range in some scenarios too.

I guess as the saying goes, you can never have enough time, money, or fuel in the gas tank. :)

It will be more squeeze than juice. I’m assuming Toyota didn’t spec a smaller fuel tank for the LC just to piss us off. Something about the hybrid design must have affected space availability down there.

IMO, if it’s crucial to have a few more gallons of fuel availability, a side or rear storage solution for a can would be a lot easier.
Concur. Rotopax seems an easier, less expensive solution if needing more fuel on overland trip.

Concur. Rotopax seems an easier, less expensive solution if needing more fuel on overland trip.
That’s the approach I took. Was nice to have albeit I didn’t need it -

IMG_9200.jpeg

GX with side mounts. Seems like RotoPAX is scalable and could be more flexible enabling a mix of fuel, water, or accessories depending on the scenario.

Anybody have any experience with them and approximate costs? I would assume about $300-$400 per panel plus $100 per container.

1729261023507.png

Back