Hybrid batter Water exposure

chris_in_phx

📛 Founding Member
Dec 5, 2023
Media
Phoenix, AZ
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
All right folks one more question for you owners or others, what’s the deal with the hybrid battery and protection from things sitting on the top in the cargo area? Does anybody have any insight to how the hybrid battery is protected?

I saw a great YouTube video and the guy was mentioning that you don’t really want to get any water in the back because you don’t want the hybrid battery to get wet. I am not planning on putting a swimming pool back there but I do have a small raft and other fishing gear that can be wet when I throw it in the back of my current truck and I’m wondering if (even with an all weather protected liner) there’s good protection for the battery if water spills over from wet gear or maybe a slushy cooler?

Toyota isn't new to hybrid batteries, so I'm betting they have this figured out. Submarines are battery electric. The key is how the batteries are sealed and how they breathe. Given Toyota's deep experience and industry-leading hybrid experience, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. I'll still use a cargo liner like I do with every car, but mostly to ease cleanup.

I'm thinking you should be more concerned with the battery cooling ventliation in the back than with water... From what I understand there are cooling vents in the back for the battery with filters? If this is true.... then keeping the vent clear for proper air flow would be more important? i.e. don't put a blanket over the vents when you pack for camping or travel and drive in hot weather? If anyone knows if this true... Let me know... as mine has been sitting in port for over a month!!! So can not confirm or deny.

I'm thinking you should be more concerned with the battery cooling ventliation in the back than with water... From what I understand there are cooling vents in the back for the battery with filters? If this is true.... then keeping the vent clear for proper air flow would be more important? i.e. don't put a blanket over the vents when you pack for camping or travel and drive in hot weather? If anyone knows if this true... Let me know... as mine has been sitting in port for over a month!!! So can not confirm or deny.
Yes I agree, those ports are crucial to keeping the battery properly cooled. Definitely need to change the filters and never block the vents.

if you open the doors to the rear seats (not the hatch, the passenger doors) and look down and toward the rear of the vehicle, the vents should be visible below the cup holders, pointing forward towards the windshield

I've never seen a LC battery, but have watched a few Prius battery rebuilds on U-Tube when I was initially researching the LC, basically a whole bunch of commercial battery cells wired together (think extra long "C" cells) to make a pack. The pack was entirely surrounded by a metal shield. I'm not too worried about the battery it's self getting water on it. It's the connectors getting wet and shorting that's of concern. If you're putting a raft in there, I think I'd pull the carpet and lay down a piece of heavy plastic covering the rear completely, then reinstall the carpet and not worry about it too much.

Back