GX550 fuel tank in a Land Cruiser

Depends what the definition of expensive is. ;)
Curious if the pump/sender/mounting brakets, etc. can be reused and its simply the tank or if its an entire assembly. The old retired parts guy in me is curious.

Depends what the definition of expensive is. ;)
Curious if the pump/sender/mounting brakets, etc. can be reused and its simply the tank or if its an entire assembly. The old retired parts guy in me is curious.
Looking at photos of the under carriages, the only thing I'm unsure on is if the Hybrid motor/mount is going to interfere. Don't know how the Lexus dealer would feel about me rolling under one with a tape measure and taking pictures...... might just have to find out.....LOL

I’ve read in the manual that the LC tank is pressurized with special valves for the hybrid system. Not sure a direct swap is possible.

I noticed that presurized commment in another thread. That seems very odd (not saying it isnt true). By what means would the tank become presurized and why? I could see where the tank would be slighly under vacuum, due to the draw of the fuel pump- and for emission compliance reasons. I also assume this is a direct-injected engine with no fuel return line.

I noticed that presurized commment in another thread. That seems very odd (not saying it isnt true). By what means would the tank become presurized and why? I could see where the tank would be slighly under vacuum, due to the draw of the fuel pump- and for emission compliance reasons. I also assume this is a direct-injected engine with no fuel return line.
I believe the vapor purge capture system may put a slight vacuum in the tank. Also why the gas tank cap has to have a proper seal ("O" ring) in order not to throw a CEL light and trouble code.

From the manual. I did a google search as to why and it said it has to do with the “instant on/off” feature of the gas engine in the hybrid system.
IMG_0016.jpeg

The vapor purge system has been around many, many years and is present on just about any over the road vehicle, it has to do with recycling emissions back into the engine and excess gas that isn't used by the engine to be recycled back into the fuel tank. In the Hybrid it makes sense that there would be more unused fuel needing to be sent back to the fuel tank. .

I was able to do a little more research on the international models. What is interesting is the Aussie version Prado has a 80L primary (21.1 gallon) and a 30L (7.9 gallon) secondary tank. The fact that the international version and the GX550 share a near identically sized tank is promising that there should be a factory solution that will fit in the same footprint. Of course- still waiting to find parts schematics and part numbers for the US LC and the GX550 to see how many parts are in fact interchangable. The variable is- what will Long Range America bring to market and will it take up space in the spare tire well.

Back