Gas engine noisy at idle?

BrickShitHouse

📛 Founding Member
Sep 5, 2024
Rhode island
Vehicles
2024 Landcruiser
Just looking for some feedback from other owners. Is your experience that at idle the engine sounds kind of harsh and “rattley” at idle especially from the driver side? I don’t ever hear it while driving but if I walk up next to the truck while it’s running it definitely catches my ear. It may be normal though as a lot of new engine are not exactly what I would call quiet.

Toyota has always had rougher/higher power 4 cylinders in their trucks compared to their cars. Nothing has changed in 2024, although the hybrid engine on/off makes the engine noise more noticeable.

I'm sure Toyota's unibody SUVs are quieter.

Last edited:
Just looking for some feedback from other owners. Is your experience that at idle the engine sounds kind of harsh and “rattley” at idle especially from the driver side? I don’t ever hear it while driving but if I walk up next to the truck while it’s running it definitely catches my ear. It may be normal though as a lot of new engine are not exactly what I would call quiet.
Please take an audio video and post it

Toyota has always had rougher/higher power 4 cylinders in their trucks compared to their cars. Nothing has changed in 2024, although the hybrid engine on/off makes the engine noise more noticeable.

I'm sure Toyota's unibody SUVs are quieter.
They are equally noisy to be honest. They use the exact same engines. The only difference is the potential absence or presence of engine covers.

Their truck engines are not more powerful. In fact, they sometimes use detuned versions of more powerful engines in their trucks. Like the 3.5 V6 engine on Tacoma was 278 horsepower, they had +300 horsepower variants on Avalons and Highlanders.

I actually like the diesely sound of the engine. And the fact that it rarely runs at high rpm’s. It’s the best sounding 4cylinder I’ve heard. Just pretend it’s a diesel and enjoy the outstanding power delivery.

Back