Fuel Auxilary Tank

mountaindesert

📛 Founding Member
Jun 20, 2024
Media
Wrightwood
Vehicles
Land Cruiser 1958
I have a 2024 1958 model and was considering putting on an auxiliary fuel extension tank where the current spare tire is.

Does this invalidate the warranty?

Are there any more difficulties doing this with a hybrid vehicle like the LC rather than a traditional gas-only car?

Are they reliable?

Any opinions about who makes the best Aux fuel tanks?

Thanks Russ

For off-road use I'd be concerned about how vulnerable that location is. Landing on your spare is one thing, landing on your gas tank is another. Source: a misspent youth off-roading vehicles that were not intended to be off-roaded and occasionally ending up with holes in my gas tank.

Last edited:
I have a 2024 1958 model and was considering putting on an auxiliary fuel extension tank where the current spare tire is.

Does this invalidate the warranty?

Are there any more difficulties doing this with a hybrid vehicle like the LC rather than a traditional gas-only car?

Are they reliable?

Any opinions about who makes the best Aux fuel tanks?

Thanks Russ
Toyota’s hybrid tanks are pressurized during vehicle on conditions, which is why you have to press a button to open the gas cap and it’s not usually immediate. The ECU is venting and depressurizing the tank to make it safe to open and fill.

An auxiliary tank would have to match that pressure and adhere to the release system. the plumbing required may make it cost prohibitive as opposed to strapping a few extra gas cans to the roof.

I was unaware about Tundras information, however the Titan Tank looks promising. If the Titan tank doesn't replicate the parameters Tundras outlined. It would be very easy to permanently install a 12v transfer pump, that would transfer fuel into the main tank with the flip of a switch. The tank below is for a full sized truck and I'm not sure if a smaller version exists. I know that there is a tank that fits in the Tacoma spare tire area. I'm hoping a larger tank can be retrofitted into the existing space ie...... the GX550 tank.

My 2nd idea is to have a custom aluminum tank fabricated.

1718934143955.png

Last edited:

Long Range America seems to make the highest quality tanks. They've made units for the other Land Cruisers and various other Toyotas. Nothing available yet for the current LC but I'm sure they'll have something soon.

They'll either do a replacement tank with additional capacity, or will have an auxillary option where the spare tire would go.

Thank you. I spoke with someone from there who told me the same thing. I haven't seen a LC in real life yet so they don't have dates on when it will become available.

Yes that's what they told me as well. However, unfortunately they won't be available to probably q1 2025 at the earliest

Sounds promising! Did they make any mention about it being more complex vs prior gens to swap or add auxiliary?

Pricing also looks a bit less versus Long range America

Sounds promising! Did they make any mention about it being more complex vs prior gens to swap or add auxiliary?

Pricing also looks a bit less versus Long range America
From what I understand, long-range America is the same company as the one that's producing it in Australia.

Australia is just their main design and manufacturing place and then they will have them shipped from there to the states.

He didn't know anything about the design process or anything about the complexities of it though.

It sounded like Australia was handing all of that.

Ahh, yes you are correct! Long Range America (LRAM) is the US distributor of long-range fuel tanks from Long Range Automotive (LRA), an Australian company.

Interesting to note. The Prado with the 2.8 Liter diesel ships with an 80 liter tank to the EU (31 Gallons, same tank as GX?), but the rest of the world gets a 110 liter (29 gallon) fuel tank.

These folks say the 110 liter tank on the Prado is the same as on the Land Cruiser 300.

" based on our quick crawl-around underneath the car, the new Prado’s fuel tank doesn’t appear to be different to the single 110-litre unit in the 300 Series."

Looking at photos of the underside of the LC300, it sure looks awfully similar for the LC250/Prado. Interesting?

Here's a photo of a LC300 vs. LC250. Wish there were better photos out there, this one has an aftermarket exhaust.

Attachments

• LC300 vs LC250.jpg
    LC300 vs LC250.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 5
Back