FE Roof Rack with Cargo Box?

Midmarkwest

📛 Founding Member
Feb 14, 2024
Minnesota
Vehicles
4runner
Wondering if anyone with the first edition style factory roof rack has tried to attach a Thule or Yakima rooftop cargo box? Curious if this factory rack has clearance to attach the box and keep it forward enough for the rear hatch to open?

Wondering if anyone with the first edition style factory roof rack has tried to attach a Thule or Yakima rooftop cargo box? Curious if this factory rack has clearance to attach the box and keep it forward enough for the rear hatch to open?
Should be fine, I don’t have a box but I’m putting a RTT up on top and it will just overhang the moonroof 12-16”.

Should be fine, I don’t have a box but I’m putting a RTT up on top and it will just overhang the moonroof 12-16”.
I have never understood the RTT ‘thing’… why not just set up a tent? Don’t our truck’s roofs have load limits? Do they stay on 24/7/365? Only to be used occasionally? And carrying around the added weight and the added wind drag is going to zap any chance at fuel economy.. Just asking..

I have never understood the RTT thing… Don’t our truck’s roofs have load limits? Do they stay on 24/7/365? Only to be used occasionally? And carrying around the added weight and the added wind drag is going to zap any chance at fuel economy.. Just asking..
I bought an Inspired Overland XL which is an ultralight RTT at 86lbs. Light enough for me to take off and put in the garage when we’re not out on the trail. Not going to keep it up on top all the time so I’ll take the fuel hit when I’m using it. Static load limit is 600lbs on the FE rack / Dynamic is 165 so I’m all good on that front.

Attachments

• IMG_8429.jpeg
    IMG_8429.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8427.jpeg
    IMG_8427.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_8435.jpeg
    IMG_8435.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 80
I bought an Inspired Overland XL which is an ultralight RTT at 86lbs. Light enough for me to take off and put in the garage when we’re not out on the trail. Not going to keep it up on top all the time so I’ll take the fuel hit when I’m using it. Static load limit is 600lbs on the FE rack / Dynamic is 165 so I’m all good on that front.
How do you like it?

I’m considering the following rooftop cargo boxes to attach to my 2024 Land Cruiser FE and wanted to know if anybody had any experience with them on the OEM roof rack:

We are going to use the cargo box primarily for hauling skis/snowboards and associated winter gear, but may use it a bit for general cargo carrying the rest of the year.

I’m interested in their functionality as well as how well they integrate/fit on the First Edition roof rack keeping in mind that we want the rear cargo door to be able to open and close.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

I’m considering the following rooftop cargo boxes to attach to my 2024 Land Cruiser FE and wanted to know if anybody had any experience with them on the OEM roof rack:

We are going to use the cargo box primarily for hauling skis/snowboards and associated winter gear, but may use it a bit for general cargo carrying the rest of the year.

I’m interested in their functionality as well as how well they integrate/fit on the First Edition roof rack keeping in mind that we want the rear cargo door to be able to open and close.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
hey there. did you buy and attach a cargo box yet. I was going on here to post the exact same question as I'm considering trading my roof rack and cross bars for the First Edition roof rack but would like to be able to install a cargo box on the First Edition roof rack. Please lemme know if you were able to make it work and thanks.

hey there. did you buy and attach a cargo box yet. I was going on here to post the exact same question as I'm considering trading my roof rack and cross bars for the First Edition roof rack but would like to be able to install a cargo box on the First Edition roof rack. Please lemme know if you were able to make it work and thanks.
I haven’t made a decision yet on what route to go regarding a cargo box. I haven’t received any feedback from anyone on the forum yet as to what cargo boxes they have installed on their First Edition roof rack. That being said, as winter draws closer I’m going to visit a couple outfitters that sell Yakima and Thule and make a decision/purchase later this month. I’m definitely leaning toward the low profile versions but will make a decision once I actually see them first hand and determine if they have enough storage capacity.

I haven’t made a decision yet on what route to go regarding a cargo box. I haven’t received any feedback from anyone on the forum yet as to what cargo boxes they have installed on their First Edition roof rack. That being said, as winter draws closer I’m going to visit a couple outfitters that sell Yakima and Thule and make a decision/purchase later this month. I’m definitely leaning toward the low profile versions but will make a decision once I actually see them first hand and determine if they have enough storage capacity.
thanks for getting back to me. I'm not certain they'll even connect to the FE roof rack. My buddy has two cargo boxes I can use anytime which is why I'm curious. They attached to my OEM 4Runner cross bars but the FE roof rack is obviously much different. Good luck and thanks again

Back