🛠️ Member Build Eod Guy's Ride

Member Build
Too bad there is no master interior light shut-off. I’ve had the rear open for hours and those lights never shut off.

How did you connect the switch wires to the red - twist wire nuts or something fancier? And which of the colored switch wires did you use? I found the same switch online. You used the “momentary” one, not the latching type, right?

Too bad there is no master interior light shut-off. I’ve had the rear open for hours and those lights never shut off.

How did you connect the switch wires to the red - twist wire nuts or something fancier? And which of the colored switch wires did you use? I found the same switch online. You used the “momentary” one, not the latching type, right?
I started using these about a year ago....... They make different ones for different wire gages. You'll need a heat gun as well. A lighter will work, but if you're not careful you'll melt the heat shrink right off (don't ask how I know this)

Use the latching type switch!

1723051034417.png

1723052406634.png

Last edited:
Those connectors rock. I can't go back to other types after using those. Easy and durable.

I started using these about a year ago....... They make different ones for different wire gages. You'll need a heat gun as well. A lighter will work, but if you're not careful you'll melt the heat shrink right off (don't ask how I know this)

Use the latching type switch!

View attachment 7228
View attachment 7233
I wish I had your skills… even half of your skills…

If you survived 38 years as a bomb tech you MUST have been careful. 😂

Rear Hatch Light Mod: I was in the back and the curtesy lights in the rear hatch would not go off. Removed the rear hatch trim piece and installed a switch in the power side of the existing curtesy wiring. I super imposed a rough outline of the existing and new wire
Is the rear hatch light only a First Edition thing? My premium package doesn’t have a light and that would be handy! Wonder if it could be added? Is this where it would be?

Attachments

• IMG_2073.jpeg
    IMG_2073.jpeg
    627.8 KB · Views: 82
Is the rear hatch light only a First Edition thing? My premium package doesn’t have a light and that would be handy! Wonder if it could be added? Is this where it would be?
That's the access panel for the manual unlock. There are two lights, wired together (one on each side) They appear to be "sandwitch" mounted...... Bezel that passes through the panel and a locking square that locks it in place. (I never took it apart).

If you don't need OEM "superbrightleds.com" has a good selection of surface mount LED lights.

You have power at the closer switch so that shouldn't be an issue. If you put in a switch Like I did (blue lighted circle), the wiring would be super simple.

Attachments

• Rear Hatch 3.JPG
    Rear Hatch 3.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 80
That's the access panel for the manual unlock. There are two lights, wired together (one on each side) They appear to be "sandwitch" mounted...... Bezel that passes through the panel and a locking square that locks it in place. (I never took it apart).

If you don't need OEM "superbrightleds.com" has a good selection of surface mount LED lights.

You have power at the closer switch so that shouldn't be an issue. If you put in a switch Like I did (blue lighted circle), the wiring would be super simple.
Nice. I removed that piece as well on my 58. I wanted to make the hatch openable from the inside.

Have you figured out how to do that yet?

I was hoping to make something like a switch or something that I could open the hatch from the inside when I'm camping.

My apologies, I don't know all the differences between trim levels. With the opener switch being right there, it shouldn't be too hard to install an additional switch. The important question would be where to mount it and how to protect it from accidental activation.

Just thinking out loud, if I were to do this, I think I'd mount a momentary switch in the cubby where the jack is located (easily accessed and protected from accidental activation). Another location might be in the area where the manual unlock panel is, remove the trim panel, hard mount a momentary switch that could be reached through the open access panel and with panel cover in place, it would be protected from accidental activation.

Back