Does anyone actually get the posted 22/24 mpg?

I'm clocking in at 17.2 mpg. 700 miles on ODM, I drive like a grandma, I have only put in premium gas, stock wheels, in ECO mode 100% of the time. What gives???? I should be at minimum getting 22 mpg. I wouldn't really care all that much except the tank is tiny...15 gallons. I only get a range of 280 miles per fill.

We have been using premium fuel every tank, at first 19.5 mpg for the first 1K then changed the now that its broken we're averaging 21.6 mpg to 22.6 mpg in normal mode, the vehicle now has 1,769 miles

You hypermiling hand calculation guys are probably fun at parties 🤣
At parties I need to act cool and just be like "yeah man! I can't imagine driving a rig without a sway bar disconnect mechanism anymore!"

But under that brave face is a crying soul, worried about my poor gas mileage and tank range.

My sales guy said normal mode gets better fuel economy. I thought he was nuts, so I only drive in eco. Is there any truth to this

My sales guy said normal mode gets better fuel economy. I thought he was nuts, so I only drive in eco. Is there any truth to this

From my Prius/RAV4 hybrid experience: There is a school of thought that using sport or normal mode can be more efficient by getting up to your coast speed quicker and more efficiently than just slowly sputtering your way up. The goal is to get up to speed, fully let go of the gas, and then gently depress to maintain speed or slightly decelerate.

But if you drive like a normal person without focusing on hypermiling, then I think this is thrown out the window and ECO is probably a bit better. I doubt there is any objective conclusion here because there are an infinite amount of variables at play.

I also really like ECO on the rav4 for winter driving, because it really lets you slowly accelerate in slippery conditions.

But as far as the LC goes, I was thinking I'd try an entire tank on Normal mode and see if I notice any unscientific improvements. I'll report back in a few weeks! maybe by then we'll have another fun MPG thread going!

Does anyone actually get the posted 22/24 mpg?​

No. No, I don't.
Miss Daisy's average is 24.1 mpg, stock Michelins, eco mode, stop and go rural city, and rural NC rolling hills using 93 octane Ethanol free fuel. I'm loving Miss Daisy! ♥️

Miss Daisy's average is 24.1 mpg, stock Michelins, eco mode, stop and go rural city, and rural NC rolling hills using 93 octane Ethanol free fuel. I'm loving Miss Daisy! ♥️
I put silly tires on mine and drive into the mountains a lot. But let's be honest, I think it's mostly because of the silly tires.

My first ~1000 miles were lower than expected. Averaged about 18-19mpg.

Since then it's been improving considerably. Through 2300 miles my overall average is now up to 20.2, but I am consistently getting 23-25mpg on my ~10 mile suburban commute.

During a Labor Day weekend road trip, we averaged 22.4mpg for 500 miles. This was with 4 people, a full load of camping gear and a Thule Force roof top cargo box up top. Way better than my 2016 Tacoma ever achieved.

My first ~1000 miles were lower than expected. Averaged about 18-19mpg.

Since then it's been improving considerably. Through 2300 miles my overall average is now up to 20.2, but I am consistently getting 23-25mpg on my ~10 mile suburban commute.

During a Labor Day weekend road trip, we averaged 22.4mpg for 500 miles. This was with 4 people, a full load of camping gear and a Thule Force roof top cargo box up top. Way better than my 2016 Tacoma ever achieved.
Stock tires?

Back