Dashcam placement from the factory

VTLC250

📛 Founding Member
Jun 17, 2024
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
... is it intrusive? I've always tried to place mine on the passenger side of the rearview mirror to maximize my view. From the photos I've seen, it seems like it's right in the driver's line of sight?

To those who have it, does it seem an easy swap to the other side?

... is it intrusive? I've always tried to place mine on the passenger side of the rearview mirror to maximize my view. From the photos I've seen, it seems like it's right in the driver's line of sight?

To those who have it, does it seem an easy swap to the other side?
I'm seeing people post pictures like this, wondering if it's installed incorrectly or this is how it fits on the LC. Looks very intrusive.

Screenshot 2024-06-22 at 8.07.30 PM.png

Last edited:
Indeed... that's the factory placement, as shown in both listings of First Editions on BringaTrailer.

I have never thought about using the front camera as a "dash cam" . I assume the front camera is wired like the Tacos, if so a breakout harness (splitter)would be fairly easy to fabricate and not mess with the OEM wiring. Depending on if the OEM wiring has a extension harness between the grill connector and the display connector. The display connector and pins are almost impossible to obtain. The male and female connectors in the grill are available through aftermarket vendors.

The only snag would be getting a DVR to record it and the downward angle may too steep to get any useful distance.

(edit) doing a little searching there are DVRs avail

1719161216328.png

Last edited:
Now my brain is really spinning....... I'm curious if the birds eye view is a blended feed and can be exported from the video head......... that would make a different take on a dash cam.

This from the Toyota website when you build a First Edition LC. Any thoughts as to why it looks different than the photo in Tumelocruiser’s post above? After more review, I can tell this photo is not on a LC. But, it is the picture and specs Toyota shows when you add it to a FE. There is a sunglasses holder in this photo (don’t get me started).

Attachments

• IMG_2061.png
    IMG_2061.png
    564.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Indeed... that's the factory placement, as shown in both listings of First Editions on BringaTrailer.
Inm, that’s a dealer installed option. You could always go aftermarket and for probably much cheaper.

I have never thought about using the front camera as a "dash cam" . I assume the front camera is wired like the Tacos, if so a breakout harness (splitter)would be fairly easy to fabricate and not mess with the OEM wiring. Depending on if the OEM wiring has a extension harness between the grill connector and the display connector. The display connector and pins are almost impossible to obtain. The male and female connectors in the grill are available through aftermarket vendors.

The only snag would be getting a DVR to record it and the downward angle may too steep to get any useful distance.

(edit) doing a little searching there are DVRs avail

View attachment 3287
Why not use the camera in the front windshield? 1958 appears to have 2 cameras and I have no idea why.

Why not use the camera in the front windshield? 1958 appears to have 2 cameras and I have no idea why.
Too be honest, I wasn't aware of the two cameras. (perhaps one is the rain sensor) It would make more sense to use a high mount camera, but i'm thinking how cool would a bird's eye dash cam be.

The extremely vertical windshield of the LC makes a ‘clean’ install very difficult if the dash cam is that large.

The dashcam is on the left side so the driver can easily see and operate the controls. I quickly became used to it being there and have not experienced any line-of-sight problems.

The 1958 that I bought straight off the lot was exactly what I was looking for equipment and feature-wise . . . . . except the already-installed dash cam (which I can't tell if it was factory or dealer installed).

I find it to be very obtrusive and it does, in fact, block the driver's view. I find myself ducking in order to see under it to check cross traffic and pedestrians at intersections. That, in my opinion, is a major safety concern.

One way or another, I will either get it moved by the dealer and simply move it (or remove it) myself. Definitely not one of Toyota's better ideas for the location of such a device.

20240727_153918.jpg

And I forgot to mention that I'm 6'4" tall, so that dash cam is exactly at eye level.

Had mine removed before i took delivery. View was soooo much better after. DIYers, be aware that you’ll have to remove a lot of the headliner and rearview mirror assembly to remove this thing. Saw a video posted somewhere that showed moving it to passenger side was a much easier process, FWIW

Back