Continuous 12v source

surf fishing offroader

📛 Founding Member
Jul 14, 2024
Media
Houston
Vehicles
1958 Land Cruiser
I installed a radar detector and powered it thru the pins available from the mirror, and one of the pins used is apparently providing power even when the LC is off (radar stays on)

Trying to brainstorm here... is that power being provided by the lead or hybrid battery?

Initially thought it's from the lead battery, but after thinking about it more - there's no reason to provide continuous power to the rear view mirror, unless it was meant for the dash cam (I've got a 1958). So then that raises the question, if it's meant to stay on, then toyota probably doesn't want to drain the lead battery so makes more sense this power is provided by the hybrid. I've also read that the hybrid battery turns off with the vehicle, but with all the "theories" online, don't know how true that statement is

Long story short, I want to hook up a fridge to this source, but don't want to drain the lead battery. Any ideas how it can be determined where the power source is from?

Thanks!

Although may not be standard equipment on 1958, power to homelink is likely the reason why you’re getting 12V constant.
The 1958 has homelink, it's not that bare bones 😂

And I think your right, it likely is for that homelink, which probably means it's from the lead battery

The hybrid battery is never engaged when the vehicle is off or ACC. The hybrid battery will never wake up to maintain voltage of the 12V battery.

The 12v is for homelink, which I don't like! All ACCYs are sourced from the 12v battery. So damned if you do, damned if you don't situation........... You will need the 12v battery to provide enough juice to wake up the computers so the Hybrid can start the engine and recharge the 12v via the inverter.

My solution was to buy a new tech jumpbox that doesn't have a battery but capacitors that when connected directly to the battery, will fire up the computers and allow it to start. Confirmed this works.......LOL

The 12v is for homelink, which I don't like! All ACCYs are sourced from the 12v battery. So damned if you do, damned if you don't situation........... You will need the 12v battery to provide enough juice to wake up the computers so the Hybrid can start the engine and recharge the 12v via the inverter.

My solution was to buy a new tech jumpbox that doesn't have a battery but capacitors that when connected directly to the battery, will fire up the computers and allow it to start. Confirmed this works.......LOL
can you link that jumpbox?

Back