supersix

Administrator
Staff member
📛 Founding Member
Jul 7, 2023
Media
Vehicles
2014 4runner, 2021 Bronco
Consumer Reports 2024 car recommendations are out, showcasing a preference for electrified options in the top 10. However, it's the lower end of the scale that's under the spotlight here, with Consumer Reports revealing its list of the five auto brands that fell short this year:
  • 30. Rivian
  • 31. GMC
  • 32. Jaguar
  • 33. Land Rover
  • 34. Jeep (Last)

And that's exactly why Toyota will do extremely well with the new LC and GX550!

• Admin
Huh I'm surprised about the Rivian. I've heard nothing but good things, but that could just be the funnel of information.

Same here. A couple of my neighbors own Rivians and have been quite happy with them.

You can be happy with a car and still have problems with them. My wife's happy with her Tesla, even though I've found half a dozen build defects (in the first month).

You can be happy with a car and still have problems with them. My wife's happy with her Tesla, even though I've found half a dozen build defects (in the first month).
You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd, but you can be happy if you have a mind to. -Roger Miller

I believe all their ratings come from surveys of owners and I think JD Power does the same??
I've heard some negative things about the way JD power actually does their ratings, but I can't remember what is was and am too lazy to search it.

I had a 2020 Mazda CX 5 I got rid of after a couple months but it was just the biggest :poop: and I gave a bad survey of the dealership after the purchase which really upset them and the sales guy of course was very upset and he told me they would lose their JD power rating because of that one survey. Tough dookie.

And I've always heard horrible things about the Land Rover. I remember reading one story where the value dropped $20,000 as soon as they drove it off the lot. Not much different than the Chevrolets that lose 10,000 driving them off the lot. Still surprised Land Rover wasn't at the top.

It can’t be that far off. Look at the last 4. All are quite well known to have significant reliability issues. It doesn’t keep them from selling lot of cars. Jeeps dominate the hardcore rock crawling crowd, not because they are reliable, but because they are relatively easy to fix and parts are plentiful. I suspect Rivian makes the list because when they break it is insanely expensive to fix, and have little to no capacity to be worked on with limited places for dealer support.

I was initially interested in the new Defender but then I remember that saying about Land Rovers: 9 out of 10 ever built are still on the road … the other one actually made it home.
Just about everyone I know who likes Rovers has 2 or 3 of them. One to drive, the others for parts!

Consumer Reports 2024 car recommendations are out, showcasing a preference for electrified options in the top 10. However, it's the lower end of the scale that's under the spotlight here, with Consumer Reports revealing its list of the five auto brands that fell short this year:
  • 30. Rivian
  • 31. GMC
  • 32. Jaguar
  • 33. Land Rover
  • 34. Jeep (Last)

And that's exactly why Toyota will do extremely well with the new LC and GX550!
Rivian is not a surprise. Per my buddy who bought one when they first came out.. 'Best vehicle EVER!!! Sure, I've had to take it back 35 times for issues, but TOTALLY worth it!' Now that he's sold it... 'Man, that thing was a continuous PITA, hope they get their shit figured out'

I believe all their ratings come from surveys of owners and I think JD Power does the same??
I've heard some negative things about the way JD power actually does their ratings, but I can't remember what is was and am too lazy to search it.

I had a 2020 Mazda CX 5 I got rid of after a couple months but it was just the biggest :poop: and I gave a bad survey of the dealership after the purchase which really upset them and the sales guy of course was very upset and he told me they would lose their JD power rating because of that one survey. Tough dookie.

And I've always heard horrible things about the Land Rover. I remember reading one story where the value dropped $20,000 as soon as they drove it off the lot. Not much different than the Chevrolets that lose 10,000 driving them off the lot. Still surprised Land Rover wasn't at the top.
My solution to the depreciation issue is to keep my cars for at least eight years. That way I’m driving them around at salvage value for 2 or 3 years and whatever depreciation hit I took at the beginning averages out.

Versus, for example, a guy who proudly buys used to avoid the initial hit but then does the same thing again and again every three years and therefore is still seeing substantial depreciation every year he drives.

That said - I wanted a Defender but I just couldn’t do it. So many people say that Land Rover drivers live a life of service misery - even the people who love the vehicles and knowingly put up with it. Recently though I think JLR has had worse than average supply chain issues with parts, and people are seeing their vehicles in the shop for weeks or even months waiting for something to come in. No thanks.

There is a well known Overlander on the west coast who drives a FJ. He is quoted in a article that "he bought a FJ over a Jeep because he needed reliability in the field".

I considered a Jeep Gladiator because I wanted the truck bed but the forum posts scared me away.

Back