Car Wash or DIY

rusty_sandwedge

📛 Founding Member
Jul 9, 2024
Media
DFW - Texas
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruider 1958
Do you take your LC to a car wash or do you wash it yourself by hand. Or do you have a professional wash it by hand? I've been washing it by hand. Brought back memories of being in high school and washing and waxing my first car (1998 BMW 318i) by hand. I feel like this is the first "cool" car I've owned since then so I actually care about it. I would exclusively run my previous car (2017 Subaru Forrester) through a car wash, and I could tell it dulled and swirled the paint over time.

The only issue is, the LC is a lager vehicle so it takes a lot of time to wash by hand, not to mention getting on a ladder to clean, dry, and wax the roof. I need to find a touchless wash near me for when I dont have the time for a full hand wash.

I'm a simple man, and the $5 early bird special at the local car wash is good enough for me. Bonus points for the free vacuums + unlimited slightly damp cloths which all the carwashes around here seem to have these days.

I enjoy hand washing mine in the summer. I have a routine that makes it quick and pretty easy. A step stool, two buckets, car wash soap, microfiber mitts, Claifornia Blade (for initial dry-off), microfiber towel (for final dry), NoTouch for tires, big sponge for wheels, wipe down door jambs, and voila, your car is clean. Then, once in a while, it gets the clay bar treatment and 2 coats of wax.

In the winter, I go to the local touchless car wash and make sure to get the underbody blast.

I like a clean car. And I believe you drive better in a clean car.

Only wash it myself. Need to pre soak it , rinse , foam it again and mechanical wash. I don’t trust anyone to wash my car with dirty ass mitts . I also would never take through a car wash. You are guaranteed scratches.
This is how I've been washing my LC.

I don't take any cars to a car wash. I enjoy doing it by hand. I did my a "sponge on a stick" type device for the LC but I haven't tried it yet. It will get its first washing sometime this week.

I took my Underground to an auto wash and the buffer wheel scratched up my hood and left some swirls. Only hand wash for me from now on.

The dealer I got mine from has an “Auto Butler” service that I paid a little extra for at signing. I’ll use it a few times a year to get it polished up right.

Hand Wash Only for me. I got home from work around 6 today and it took me an hour to wash, and shammy. Car Wash uses recycled water which is really bad for the paint. I don't trust any of them. Ruined the hood on my Taco PreRunner.

Pressure washer at home when I've got extra time. Weekly Wand wash at the coin op most of the time. An occasional touchless automatic. It's my daily driver and as much as I will be on top of maintenance, the reality of its life will include bugs, bird crap and gravel roads. Not a garage queen!

Recently got mine rust sprayed, so it’s a mess. I’ll probably hand wash it to get the overspray off once it stops dripping. Normally I’ll just hit up a touch-free car wash.

Do you take your LC to a car wash or do you wash it yourself by hand. Or do you have a professional wash it by hand? I've been washing it by hand. Brought back memories of being in high school and washing and waxing my first car (1998 BMW 318i) by hand. I feel like this is the first "cool" car I've owned since then so I actually care about it. I would exclusively run my previous car (2017 Subaru Forrester) through a car wash, and I could tell it dulled and swirled the paint over time.

The only issue is, the LC is a lager vehicle so it takes a lot of time to wash by hand, not to mention getting on a ladder to clean, dry, and wax the roof. I need to find a touchless wash near me for when I dont have the time for a full hand wash.
Only by hand on this baby! It’s a special one for sure. And yes it does take some effort it’s tall and traps a lot of water. I’ll probably go to a good hand pressure wash facility with good pre soak if it’s really dirty and/or really cold and snowy.

I enjoy hand washing mine in the summer. I have a routine that makes it quick and pretty easy. A step stool, two buckets, car wash soap, microfiber mitts, Claifornia Blade (for initial dry-off), microfiber towel (for final dry), NoTouch for tires, big sponge for wheels, wipe down door jambs, and voila, your car is clean. Then, once in a while, it gets the clay bar treatment and 2 coats of wax.

In the winter, I go to the local touchless car wash and make sure to get the underbody blast.

I like a clean car. And I believe you drive better in a clean car.
Yes you are correct. Ever seen anyone start an F1 or Indycar race in a dirty race car? Nope, not going to happen.

I’m not gonna lie, I’ve had it for less than a month and it’s had two or three handwashing.. on this topic… on this thread ppl said bottom “bolt” inside gas door was rusted. I checked mine it was not… however after the car washes or .. humidity.. my bottom one was rusted today upon opening to fill up.. that was new this week- so, guess I’ll be opening that and drying it really well after washing every time ..

Strange thing about fuel doors on yotas. If its not rust, it’ll eventually be a grease issue. Not sure i’ve ever had it on other nameplates before 🧐

Strange thing about fuel doors on yotas. If its not rust, it’ll eventually be a grease issue. Not sure i’ve ever had it on other nameplates before 🧐
Very strange

Back