Break-in period

• Do not drive at extremely high speeds.
Just curious how high is extremely high speed? Is there a threshold in speed or engine rev that we should keep our under under?

I pulled these guidelines from another thread in the forum that ironically did not have much discussion about the actual break-in period.
——————-
Breaking in your new Toyota
To extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended:

-For the first 200 miles: Avoid sudden stops.
-For the first 500 miles: Do not tow a trailer.
-For the first 1000 miles:
• Do not drive at extremely high speeds.
• Avoid sudden acceleration.

• Do not drive continuously in low gears.

• Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.
——————
Only the last point has me even slightly concerned. I take delivery of my LC this week. In a week and a half I leave on a road trip to Montana, about 900 miles round trip. It will entail interstate speed limits of 70, 75 and 80mph. I’ve done this drive dozens of times and it’s hard to imagine doing it without cruise control. Even without cruise control it’s ~14 hours (total) wirhout a lot of variation in RPMs.

It’s been 9 years since I bought a new vehicle and I’ve never followed strict break-in period guidelines before as my daily driving is quite varied and mellow.

Should I:

1. Just make the trip without cause for concern

2. Make my buddy drive

3. Drive my 80 series LC and stop at a gas station every 200 miles 😆
It's a LC. It will be fine.

My other ‘car’ is a 2015 Transit 350, long wheel base, extended body, 9 foot tall van. I affectionately refer to it as my Tiny House Sailboat. Going down the interstate at 70 mph is a stressful day, getting blown around a lot, so I just chill and set the cruise control at 60 mph, where I get 20+ mpg, instead of 15 mpg at 70 mph. Much less stressful at 60 mph, and I can drive for hours and never have to touch the brakes.

My other ride is a BMW R1200 GS Adventure (motorcycle). It’s difficult to keep Gretchen below 80. She just likes to go…. And is smooth as butter getting there.

I’m not sure where ‘Miss Daisy’ 🌼 will ‘settle in’ at once I find an interstate highway to drive her on.

Pretty sure I read a few places to not exceed 70 during break-in period. I am reading that is about 1000 miles and then do your first oil change. Then drive normally from there. The way I see it, if by following a few simple rules about breaking in during that first 1000 miles I increase the probability that the life span of the LC is extended and/or repair costs reduced in the future, then the short term inconvenience is worth it to me.

Couple of Utube videos stating that modern engines really don't need much of a break in period other than towing. For me I varied the speed for the 1st 200 not exceeding the posted speed limit, no cruise , then for the next 300 at the speed limit, with cruise (sometimes), then normal driving. 1st oil change at 1200 miles, the oil looked as expected.

this first oil change at 1000 mi, is that a Toyota recommendation? Is it just oil change, no filter? Thx

Did oil and new Toyota filter that I picked up from dealership

this first oil change at 1000 mi, is that a Toyota recommendation? Is it just oil change, no filter? Thx
Toyota recommends 10K for the first oil change. 1K oil change will flush out any manufacturing debris in the engine. Then I change every 5K for longevity of the engine.

for $5.30 for a filter at the dealer, it's just not worth it not to change.

The 1000 mile change is due to recommendations from The Car Care Nut, and the Motor Oil Geek, two YouTube guys.. I would also do the filter. They’re cheap, $5 or $6 IIRC.

Toyota recommends the first oil change at 10,000 miles, and every 10,000 miles there after, unless you dig into the owners manual and see that certain types of driving are considered harsh and punishing (sever duty) to the engine, and require more frequent oil changes (per Toyota).

Last edited:
The 1000 mile change is due to recommendations from The Car Care Nut, and the Motor Oil Geek, two YouTube guys.. I would also do the filter. They’re cheap, $5 or $6 IIRC.

Toyota recommends the first oil change at 10,000 miles, and every 10,000 miles there after, unless you dig into the owners manual and see that certain types of driving are considered harsh and punishing (sever duty) to the engine.
I am curious about the long term report on cars following Toyota’s 10000 miles oil change schedule. I am sure Toyota knows what they are talking about, but also I was surprised that they don’t have any maintenance schedule on the manual after 120K miles. Is that how they define the “life” of this vehicle?

I am curious about the long term report on cars following Toyota’s 10000 miles oil change schedule. I am sure Toyota knows what they are talking about, but also I was surprised that they don’t have any maintenance schedule on the manual after 120K miles. Is that how they define the “life” of this vehicle?
Majority of Toyota’s on the road probably follow the manufacturer’s recommended oil change schedule. Average owner doesn’t put much thought into car maintenance and follow what the shop recommends. Since average Toyota is reliable, it is probably OK for most cases.

Conventional engine oils degrade rapidly with heat and need to be changed since they lose their lubricant and other protective properties. Synthetic oils are much more resistant to heat degradation and therefore maintain their properties for much longer time. So you need to think about why you are changing oil. If the intention is to remove contaminants (gas, water, debris, metals), it makes sense to change oil. There are conditions that may increase these and warrant early oil changes. But if these are minimal, the oil will be ok for the manufacture’s recommendation.

I think the maintenance schedule ends at 120k because it becomes some what meaningless after that to give generalized recommendations. After that point, maintenance should be based more on the vehicles needs.

I keep hearing every 10K for the oil & filter. But, the maintenance guide shows to get it done every 5K.

Not sure how accurate it was but my Chevy truck had a oil life percentage reading and they recommended to get it done at about 15%. Never seen this in another car. It came out to about 6 months on average for me. But I normally had to top off the oil before the 15%.

My old Audi was every 10k but I got it done about 7.5K because I felt better about it...lol.

I keep hearing every 10K for the oil & filter. But, the maintenance guide shows to get it done every 5K.

Not sure how accurate it was but my Chevy truck had a oil life percentage reading and they recommended to get it done at about 15%. Never seen this in another car. It came out to about 6 months on average for me. But I normally had to top off the oil before the 15%.

My old Audi was every 10k but I got it done about 7.5K because I felt better about it...lol.
Maintenance is for every 5K, but only every other maintenance has an oil change.

There is a live maintenance tracker that shows up before the engine starts, where odo normally shows. It updates based on your driving habits, weather etc.

The manufacturers suggested service intervals are based on driving conditions. There is a 10K and 5K oil change interval depending on which category you fall into. There are other items as well if you have been towing. It's in a separate little maintenance book or on the app. I'm going for first dealer service tomorrow at just under 5K on odo. Already changed oil once.

1000003081.png
1000003080.png

One follow up is I have watched videos circulating on this forum from the car care nut and a landcruiser enthusiast engineer. They recommend 3-5K oil change intervals on the LC250 because of the turbo. I've made the personal decision to not go further than 3500 miles on any oil change. Will cost more in oil but hopefully increases the longevity.

I mean, if you already take the car in for "maintenance" every 5k, why not change the oil as well?
I get it if you are trying to save money, but in a ~$70k car is silly.
Less than 5k maybe is a bit of "over care"...
I'm doing a oil change this weekend (~1300 miles) and for sure at 5k, maybe one in between... who knows.

Back