Break-in period

I'd say 20hrs is on the far extreme situation and is not common. I'd expect that a vast majority... like 90% or more... are less than 3 hrs.
yeah definetly on the extreme end - more common is 3-6 hours. The point is that modern engines don't require the same old break in cautions. You could take a brand new vehicle from right off the assembly line and drive it cross country at 75mph without turning it off once, and it would be fine.

I have about 50 miles on my LC. Driving a coast-to-coast tomorrow. I guess I will try to stay off interstates first couple of days - will add a few hours to a long trip and some nice scenery. Maybe I will “have to” take a backcountry discover route. 😁
That’s what I would do..

Do they ever put fuel in the cars at the port facilities location?

Do you know what Toyota puts in the tanks in Japan? Is it ethanol free fuel? Or E10 fuel? (Not asking about octane).
Very little, since it is a fire risk during ship transport.

I seriously dispute this. Can this be substantiated? Personally, would never drive for 5 hours at Interstate speeds immediately following delivery, but to each their own...
From Nashville, I flew to ATL to pick up my new Defender from the dealership and drove it back home, approx five hrs at around 68/69 mph with no problem. And their engines are more problematic than newer Toyotas.

As a Toyota engineer and former mechanic, break in periods are mostly unnecessary on modern engines. Just don’t floor it and you’ll be fine. Constant RPMs aren’t really an issue. Your vehicle was sitting idling at port for 20+ hours while accessories and checks were being done, you driving for 5 hours home at constant rpm isn’t going to hurt it.
I'm afraid I have to disagree. Does not sit idling at the port for 20 hours. If you do that to any piston engine, you have ruined it—just a matter of time. Furthermore, read up on bedding in procedure. Thirty-five years in piston and jet engine maintenance and overhaul here, plus not retired yet. Nothing has changed in basic engine operations. You still need to get that engine through its paces and different rpm.

Simple guide for someone who does not have the knowledge of what it takes to break in the engine. Let it Rev through all it's rpm but don't hold it at same rpm for too long. You dint need 1000 miles to break in. If done correctly you could be done with break in period in 200 miles at the most. Yes you will get burning smell but that is just metal expanding and contracting. Remember while you are doing that your brakes are also getting seated on the rotors so avoid high braking and coming to complete stop. That will give you a hot spot on your rotors. Best to do it on a highway at night time with no traffic. When you do come to a final stop in a parking lot put your car in park and don't apply park brake or foot brake. Let it idle for few mins to get all your temp and pressure to normal operating parameters. Switch off and let the engine cool down. My break in was done in first 100 kms and this is my 5th brand new car with each of them over 200k on the odometer. So I have yet to have oil burning issues and none of my planes have come down with oil consumption. Having said all that if you don't want do all this drive normal and it will find it's happy spot eventually. But saying it's not required is wrong. Technology has improved in modern engine is wrong, its still a 4 stroke piston engine. Idling for 20 plus hours for piston engine is ok is very very wrong.

Interesting. These guys at the port aren't Toyota Engineers. They are port mechanics installing accessories probably working for the distributor (that has Toyota in the name but is still a step away just like the dealers are).

If someone says that they saw one running for hours, I believe it. Don't like it, but believe it.

Interesting. These guys at the port aren't Toyota Engineers. They are port mechanics installing accessories probably working for the distributor (that has Toyota in the name but is still a step away just like the dealers are).

If someone says that they saw one running for hours, I believe it. Don't like it, but believe it.
Maybe but our hybrid max engine does not run for 20 hours idling. Engine shuts down after few mins and battery is running all the systems. Having said that there is still that possibility of port mechanics keeping the engine running on other cars for that long. If you run any piston engine for that long regardless of the mileage you will ruin the engine in a long run. Jet engine you can idle for long periods even diesel engine but not petrol engine.

Maybe but our hybrid max engine does not run for 20 hours idling. Engine shuts down after few mins and battery is running all the systems. Having said that there is still that possibility of port mechanics keeping the engine running on other cars for that long. If you run any piston engine for that long regardless of the mileage you will ruin the engine in a long run. Jet engine you can idle for long periods even diesel engine but not petrol engine.
I mean they may not be running the regular ECU/hybrid controller programming at port. I am sure there are different modes mechanics can put turns the car in where the engine does not turn off.

I mean they may not be running the regular ECU/hybrid controller programming at port. I am sure there are different modes mechanics can put turns the car in where the engine does not turn off.
Quite possible. My buddy works at the port and he is also one of the guys who installs this roof rails and rock sliders. He told me it is very common to have couple hundred kms on the odometer but they also have a way to do a factory reset before it gets loaded on the truck. That pissed me off but not in our control. It is what it is. Hopefully they don't shitkick the engine or do donuts.

…. but they also have a way to do a factory reset before it gets loaded on the truck. That pissed me off but not in our control. It is what it is. Hopefully they don't shitkick the engine or do donuts.
That REALLY sucks dirty pond water!!!🤬🤬🤬

I highly doubt they have the ability to reset the odometer, since that's against US law. Now they may have the ability to not hook up the computer that controls the odometer, but I highly doubt that as well.

I highly doubt they have the ability to reset the odometer, since that's against US law. Now they may have the ability to not hook up the computer that controls the odometer, but I highly doubt that as well.
I hope you are right but my buddy tells me otherwise. He say they drive on some other factory mode. Kind of like the TV has showroom mode for display and home mode when they actually sell the TV. I will ask him exactly what he does.

I hope you are right but my buddy tells me otherwise. He say they drive on some other factory mode. Kind of like the TV has showroom mode for display and home mode when they actually sell the TV. I will ask him exactly what he does.
That kind of makes sense, if it's a software thing.

Quite possible. My buddy works at the port and he is also one of the guys who installs this roof rails and rock sliders. He told me it is very common to have couple hundred kms on the odometer but they also have a way to do a factory reset before it gets loaded on the truck. That pissed me off but not in our control. It is what it is. Hopefully they don't shitkick the engine or do donuts.
Nah that’s 100000% false. Odometer tampering is illegal, and there’s no way, even in software to do it without raising a flag in the ECU that the odometer has been tampered with. Even manufacturers don’t have that ability, odometers are strictly regulated by governments all over the world.

Nah that’s 100000% false. Odometer tampering is illegal, and there’s no way, even in software to do it without raising a flag in the ECU that the odometer has been tampered with. Even manufacturers don’t have that ability, odometers are strictly regulated by governments all over the world.
Hopefully some of the members here with those fancy diagnostic tools can find out..

Hopefully some of the members here with those fancy diagnostic tools can find out..
Dianostic computers do not have that ability. Even if you purchase a new odometer computer from the manufacturer, to my knowledge, the installer gets one shot at entering the actual mileage (as determined by the old one) after that it's locked in forever. There may be some hackers out there that might be able to alter the number, but I believe there is an permanent indicator that the milage has been tampered with.

Last edited:
Dianostic computers do not have that ability. Even if you purchase a new odometer computer from the manufacturer, to my knowledge, the installer gets one shot at entering the actual mileage (as determined by the old one) after that it's locked in forever. Ther may be some hackers out there that might be able to alter the number, but I believe there is a permanent indicator that the milage has been tampered with.
Thanks!

Back