Brakes Squeal

bgeorger

đź“› Founding Member
Jun 18, 2024
Media
Buffalo, NY
Vehicles
24 Land Cruiser FE
Does anyone else exerience brakes squeel in reverse? Mine seems to do it mostly after it has sat for a while. I only notice it in reverse.

Yup, mine did. I brought it into Toyota service and they didn’t find any dust or debris. They said it’s likely because there is some condensation from being parked outdoors overnight. I’m here in Seattle and it was warm with some humidity and cooler at night. I’m inclined to believe them since it doesn’t seem to happen when I park in my garage.

I park in my garage and it still does it. Even when it is 90 and sunny outside.

Is the parking brake fully disengaging? There was a post about that dang thing locking up on someone.

I highly doubt it's condensation overnight. I personally have never seen a rotor rust overnight to a point it would squeal.

I’ll check into the parking brake next time I drive. My brakes look brown, but I wouldn’t call it rust. Looks like an intentional coating to me.
IMG_1816.jpeg

Is the parking brake fully disengaging? There was a post about that dang thing locking up on someone.

I highly doubt it's condensation overnight. I personally have never seen a rotor rust overnight to a point it would squeal.
I stand corrected. Just drove and there was a screech in reverse. Seems to happen during the first backup of the day. How would I know if the parking brake was not fully disengaging?

I’ll check into the parking brake next time I drive. My brakes look brown, but I wouldn’t call it rust. Looks like an intentional coating to me. View attachment 6453

I stand corrected. Just drove and there was a screech in reverse. Seems to happen during the first backup of the day. How would I know if the parking brake was not fully disengaging?
I went out and took pics of my front brakes. They look the same as the pic that bgeorger posted, with a similar pattern on them. The back ones do not have that brown coating and does not appear to have the same pattern.

Attachments

• Brake 1.jpg
    Brake 1.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Brake 2.jpg
    Brake 2.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 37
That might be an anti-rust storage coating IDK. Might take some brake cleaner and a rag and see if it comes off (you only need to do a very small area). It looks like the calipers aren't releasing completely and the discoloration is from heat. (Your front brakes do most of the work).

You might try drive for a mile or so, applying the brakes every 50 feet or so to allow the brakes to bed in.

Just noticed it today getting out my garage.
Been driving it for a week and it's the first time it makes the noise.
The only difference this morning was that I washed the LC for the first time last night, then parked in the garage immediately. So the humidity thing tracks.
Got to work and backed in my parking spot without any noise.
Go figure...

Just noticed it today getting out my garage.
Been driving it for a week and it's the first time it makes the noise.
The only difference this morning was that I washed the LC for the first time last night, then parked in the garage immediately. So the humidity thing tracks.
Got to work and backed in my parking spot without any noise.
Go figure...
My 4Runner does this exact thing every time I wash it and put it in the garage.

I am having the same problem. No rhyme or reason why. Happens in all weather and times of day. Only in reverse. Brought it to Toyota service today and they said that they are aware of the problem and that it is being “investigated”

mine squeek too- only when I back up first thing in the morning leaving garage- super loud and very annoying- I get teased now for my brand new SUV that sounds like its worn out....

Sounds like the GX550 is having the same issue. Lexus is recommending replacing the brake pads as the fix. My guess is better brake pads and bedding them in properly will be the longer term solution.

Mine does not do this but a friend has one and theirs does it. Dealer told them that Toyota is aware of the problem but no fix yet.

Does anyone else exerience brakes squeel in reverse? Mine seems to do it mostly after it has sat for a while. I only notice it in reverse.
I noticed that Miss Daisy squealed yesterday while I backed her out of the carport and turned the steering wheal to the left. Horrible sound..

Back