HELP! How do you disable safety features

I’ve been using the Carista for years and I believe it’s rock solid. Toyota‘s technology, the digital key, the app, and some other things in the multimedia center is not ready for prime time. Still very buggy I feel like an alpha tester I don’t even think it’s ready for beta.
I agree with that Toyota technology there. This Land Cruiser has the exact same menus in the instrument cluster as well as the entertainment center with some additional menus of course, and it's just as buggy as the Tacoma.
The biggest thing is that instrument cluster settings change. 12 or three changes to one of the other numbers. And one of those settings I'll have air pressure on the right hand side and fuel mileage on the left-hand side. Randomly it changes one of those which is usually the air pressure which was also mentioned in the Tacoma forum.
I went to service last Wednesday for it and they said there's just nothing they could do about it if I couldn't make it happen or if it didn't happen at certain times because it's like going to a doctor when pains come and go and you can't make it understandable but damn, they could have hooked it up to diagnostics to see if somethings going on. I hate being brushed off like that.

I figured this out today. I had the same issue. On the left side of the steering wheel there is a button next to the interior lights. Push it. It kills the 'auto braking'. The truck will still yell at you, but won't slam on the brakes. You can turn off the yelling in the dash settings. I forget the name exactly, I think it's Parking Assist.

I bought an empty hitch plug thinking I would just plug that in when I put on the bike rack. The manual says that would work. It did not. Maybe the 7-pin needs to see current.
I can confirm that if you plug something into the 7-pin jack that draws a current, the sensors/auto-brake is disabled just as the manual states. A couple of caveats though:
  • I don't know how much current needs to be drawn. I tried one of those 7-pin to 4-pin converts that had LED's. The LED's lit up so obviously it was drawing SOME current. However, the sensors were still on. I used an actual trailer light kit yesterday and once it was plugged in securely, the sensors and auto-brake were disabled. This would lead me to believe that there is either a minimal amount of current that needs to be drawn.....or....the 4-way pin is not triggering it because whatever is detecting the current may be on one of the 3 pins that are not "converted". Just a guess here.
  • A new message pops up when you start the truck and have the 7-pin connector attached stating those babysitters have been turned off. I didn't leave it on long enough to determine if it will go away after awhile or if you have to manually clear the message each time. That would be just as big of a PITA as what I'm dealing with now in that I have to clear the message that I've turned off the babysitters each time I start the truck.
My biggest issue right is the fact that I have to clear a message each time I start the truck. It irritates me EVERY time I get in. I really wish someone would go ahead and figure out how to hack the system to disable those messages. :)

Back