Bike Rack and auto braking in reverse

JTP

📛 Founding Member
May 16, 2024
massachusetts
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Forester
My LC 250 arrives in about four or five days. I plan on having a hitch, mounted bike rack and will probably be on there more often than not. I have read that if you attempt to reverse the vehicle with all of the sensors with the rack attached , it automatically applies the brake. I was wondering what some workarounds people have had to disable this particular feature. I am thinking to place it tow mode for reversing only.

It seems this is a common issue with all newer cars with hitches/sensors. It amazes me that no one has figured out a better work around yet

There is the button next to the steering wheel which will turn off the braking. Then this in the settings will turn off the alarm.

You can also leave this setting on and accept the alarm. When the alarm goes off, there is a mute button but that does not persist after you change gear out of reverse.

IMG_8667.jpeg

There’s been three threads already here with the solution. You can put it in tow mode or turn off the rear parking sensors
There is no solution. The alarms continue to go off. They can be muted, but they still go off.

Just push the button to disable auto braking and then mute the alarm on your multimedia screen. I've already gotten used to it and it's not that big of deal. Hoping someday they release a software upgrade that has an option to ignore bike racks and hitch hogs.

Just push the button to disable auto braking and then mute the alarm on your multimedia screen. I've already gotten used to it and it's not that big of deal. Hoping someday they release a software upgrade that has an option to ignore bike racks and hitch hogs.
Putting it in tow/haul mode is supposed to disable the automatic rear braking and sensor alerts, but its been hit or miss. It worked perfectly on my 2022 Tundra, but has been intermittent on my LC.

I also disarmed the rear braking and audio alarms. I still get the visual red lights when backing up. However, for a 1,000 mile trip last weekend, I removed my Kuat bike rack (with no bikes installed) and went from 18.5 mph to 21.5 mph. I plan to switch to a 1UP aluminum rack.

I also disarmed the rear braking and audio alarms. I still get the visual red lights when backing up. However, for a 1,000 mile trip last weekend, I removed my Kuat bike rack (with no bikes installed) and went from 18.5 mph to 21.5 mph. I plan to switch to a 1UP aluminum rack.
Mph?

Back