24 Land Cruiser 3d printed foam bed for rear cargo area?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1003
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1003

Hey does anyone think there will eventually be a perfect fit, possibly 3d printed bed for the back of the 24 Land Cruiser? Because of the seats not laying flat and there being a difference in height between the rear seats and the floor (maybe 2 inches I would guses) It would be nice if someone made some rear bedding that was maybe 3-4” on top of the battery and 1-2 when it came to the hump on the seats. I hope this makes since. If anyone has made a homemade version of this and tried it please let me know. I’m thinking about doing it and sleeping on a mountain pass. If it’s too damn small after all this modification than forget sleeping in it all together haha! Please recommend a site to keep an eye on for a rear cargo area mattress if there are any. Thanks!

Hey does anyone think there will eventually be a perfect fit, possibly 3d printed bed for the back of the 24 Land Cruiser? Because of the seats not laying flat and there being a difference in height between the rear seats and the floor (maybe 2 inches I would guses) It would be nice if someone made some rear bedding that was maybe 3-4” on top of the battery and 1-2 when it came to the hump on the seats. I hope this makes since. If anyone has made a homemade version of this and tried it please let me know. I’m thinking about doing it and sleeping on a mountain pass. If it’s too damn small after all this modification than forget sleeping in it all together haha! Please recommend a site to keep an eye on for a rear cargo area mattress if there are any. Thanks!
You could absolutely go to a fabric store and get different densities of foam, the right store will have it by the roll. They have truckers seat density foam all the way down to soft thin batting stuff. Would be easy to make a cardboard pattern and use an electric carving knife to cut the foam. I was making dog beds for my pooch that were much bigger and much more supportive for a fraction of the cost. Actually made one the size of the rear of my FJ cruiser for when the seats were folded down for my pup.

You could absolutely go to a fabric store and get different densities of foam, the right store will have it by the roll. They have truckers seat density foam all the way down to soft thin batting stuff. Would be easy to make a cardboard pattern and use an electric carving knife to cut the foam. I was making dog beds for my pooch that were much bigger and much more supportive for a fraction of the cost. Actually made one the size of the rear of my FJ cruiser for when the seats were folded down for my pup.
thanks for the suggestions. I will shop around :)

I plan on building a platform out of wood. Just going to make taller supports over the battery than the seats. I'd think the sleeping platform would be too big for 3d printing to be necessary or an advantage

I plan on building a platform out of wood. Just going to make taller supports over the battery than the seats. I'd think the sleeping platform would be too big for 3d printing to be necessary or an advantage
Definitely share your build. Not a bad idea. Just hate to raise it anymore than I need but not looking to live in it. Just possibly sleep in occasionally. Thanks

Toy Factory (Japan) appears to make exactly what you are looking for. Supposedly you can pick your upholstery color. The bed sits just above the height of folded seats, which leaves a void between battery area and bed platform, which becomes storage space accessed from the rear. Pricey but the finish looks nice. I like the idea of building my own, while I also appreciate how clean this looks.

Has anybody tried anything like this in their car ever? I had no idea such a thing existed until one popped into my marketplace feed today & now it just seems like a good simple idea.
You know I have seen those online and I actually popped in my REI looking for unnecessary accessories and forgot to look for one, kinda doubt they have one in stock. However in looking at it again you could prob pop 2 sets of legs off and replace them with feet, then you only really need the support on one end and you now have 3 sets of legs to choose from. I think its do able. Also REI if you have a local store will do just about anything for you if you join the co-op plan, seems like it was $10 or $20. They will even gladly buy back any of your used gear if you are a co-op member. I look through the co-op section and laugh at some of the stuff that is very well used that gets put back out for anyone at a discount. I mean some of the hiking boots have seen a bunch of trail miles.

Reactions: MJE
Extruded aluminum would work well for building a platform. It comes in many thicknesses and widths. Every thing can be assembled with "T" bolts, corner brackets and plates. They even make drawer sliders for the system. If you don't need it installed all the time, it's easily disassembled for storage. With all the brackets that are available you could probably design it to have access to the storage compartments.

I have built many things with it and when no longer needed, the parts were recycled into something else.

I plan on only a shallow platform that raises the floor to match the fold seat height (1 1/2"?). It will not be full width, but allow both tie downs to be exposed. It can be moved side to side, and also removed completely.

A platform above all blocks access to the devices and compartments on the rear sides.

Foam doesn't work, as you would feel the bump. The base of the bed area needs to be rigid.

I may eventually remove the 60 seat side and do something more complicated. But in my experience keeping mods as simple, straightforward and stock as possible is the place to start. That includes the suspension.

New Idea: A filler/leveler that doubles as a camp table.

Last edited:
Back